Saturday, July 04, 2015

Happy 4th of July!

I have had a good holiday weekend and it started early for me as I took Thursday as a vacay day.  In between shopping, family activities, grilling and such, I have been sewing.  I completed the Butterick 6216 top pattern.

I had some fitting issues with the back neckline; there is a lot of bulk in the back neckline with the crossover back overlay and the back piece.  Some of the weight of this plus adding neckband creates a small fold at the neck base.  The more I looked at the envelope and the view I made I can see some of the same pulling in that area on the model.  I did trim out some of the bulk after applying the neckband before topstitching in place.

All in all I am happy with the results.  I had to make some alterations with the pattern including 1.5 inch FBA, forward shoulder adjustment, one inch sway and back length adjustment.  At the hip area I took 3/8 inch seam tapering to 5/8 from waist to underarm.

Here are few shots of the completed top.

close up of back neckline

Back view

Front view
I have an opportunity to go to the beach of the end of this month so I am going to make a few more knit tops for my upcoming trip.  I have lots of top patterns and need to narrow down what I can make between now and then.  I like another version of this top but using a different back piece as seen in another view.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend if you are celebrating the 4th.  Time for dessert.  More later.



1 comment:

  1. Ooh I like this top and have been tempted to try it so thatnk you for the heads up about the back neckline.! That floral fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...