Writings on sewing related subjects, as well as whatever suits my fancy.
Patterns in the mail
I am trying to stop buying patterns. I have way more than I will probably sew. Perhaps time to have a pattern give away again.
Here's what came in the mail Saturday
I have one more but for whatever strange reason I am not finding the photo on my computer. Maybe that it did not save right. Updated to Windows 10 has given me some issues with Picasa. All patterns purchased were McCall's. The missing one is a knit top also.
reviewed on PR and fell in love with it! I had a blue and white striped fabric that I thought would work perfectly! It was one that had been in my stash since 2013.
As I began the process of making adjustments to the pattern and began the layout, I realized that my stripes should have been vertical so the stretch would work with the bodice part. Instead, mine was horizontal which made the yoke drape way to much and the bodice did not have enough stretch for the fabric to fall as I wanted. I added to the side seams to allow for this but it just didn't work.
I am down to the wire on sewing for the 50-year reunion so this is now a wadder.
I will give this pattern another try later as I do have a vertical striped fabric that may work. I have a couple of tops purchased as well as made previously that will work for this event. The big challenge is will the weather be cooler there than here. The weather app I rely on seems to indicate such until I looked at it th…
I finally completed the top. I was able to take some photos of the finished garment hanging. I hope to take some pictures of me wearing it soon. Depending on the weather I hope to wear it during the class reunion weekend. At the previous reunion the weather was still very warm. We just had a dip in the temperatures here over the past couple of days and whether that will last into the following weeks is unclear. As much as I love summer, this past summer was brutally hot!
Another person who made this top told me that she found the bust to run small. As a result, I decided to go with a larger bust size than I normally wear. I did not want to make an FBA because the front was two pieces and more time-consuming. I hoped that the larger size would work and it did.
Here are photos of the completed top.
I ran into a few sewing glitches with this top. Mainly because of how I cut out several sizes from the bust to waist to hip. As a result, I believe the front is a tad longer than the back whic…
If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know the struggles I had with M7904 as posted here and here. I finally got the snaps and affixed them to the shirt.
I took today as an opportunity to wear the shirt and took a few photos of me wearing this before I walked out the door. Today was not a good hair day, it was very muggy and my hair went limp before I left the house. I really needed to brighten up the makeup as my hair and pale skin with a shirt with light beige as the dominant color made me looked rather washed out.
Here is the back view which really shows more of the paisley/geometric design as well as the green in the fabric.
The left side I used the design horizontally.
The right side of the design was placed vertically.
Here is a close up of the snaps I used, I had to order new ones so that I could complete the project. I think they worked nicely with the fabric. You may notice that I fastened the shirt with the left front over the right front which is not the norm for w…