Friday, January 28, 2022

New Sewing Machine

 My Husqvarna Designer SE died after moving. It started a slow death prior to moving and I mentioned this in my previous post.

It was a sewing and embroidery machine. I don't embroider as much as I did once so decided I did not need a combo machine. I have a Singer stand-alone embroidery machine; should I decide to embroider something; it is simple but provides a nice embroidered item.

Lots of photos follow of my new sewing machine that fits my current budget. I purchased a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. The Singer sewing machine was my first that my Grandmother bought for me back in the early '70s.



A local dealer sells Brothers and I was not interested. I looked at Baby Lock as well as Husqvarna websites and both websites were not showing much in the way of machines that appealed to me or fit my budget. Actually, Baby Lock seemed to have no sewing machines on the website. I also thought about Janome as well as Singer. Husqvarna's Jade was another machine considered but it wasn't appealing style-wise and had limited feet.

The one that fit my budget was the Singer model. I was enticed by the fact that the deal being offered included an extension table and you can remove the regular sewing bed and attach this one


and numerous sewing feet that come with the machine and are stored inside the sewing bed attached case





Also as part of the package, I  received several specialty feet and the special foot holder to be used with these. 




I can sew using the foot control or start/stop button. It also has a thread cutter that cuts upper and bobbin thread. I normally don't use the start/stop preferring foot control. I tested this while learning how to use this machine and I found I liked it. I really like the thread cutter and needle up-down button.



There are a number of buttons to select utility stitches and buttonholes, plus other buttons to lengthen or shorten stitch length and width. You use upper buttons to select these and you have to push the adjustment button on the bottom row. With the Designer SE, all of that was performed with a touch screen.  The challenge with the button is learning what to touch first and the included manual is well designed and easy to follow on steps needed. I like the touch screen better but had to trade-off that for price. The screen is not in color but find it easy to see.



The stitch quality is good and I have tried straight, zigzag and a few decorative stitches.

All in all, I am satisfied with the machine and preparing to sew my first project soon. The next post soon will be a blog on the sewing room. I find I want to trade out some tables for something else and considering buying shelving with 4 or 5 shelves. What I have now works okay but really need more room! Still need a few more set up steps to be complete.

Later!!




12 comments:

  1. Several months ago I purchased this same machine and boy do I love it. I find myself sewing almost every day because it's so nice to operate. I had a Brother machine and it served me well, but I just wanted to upgrade a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks for your comment. It is good to know that you love the machine. I hope to begin a new project soon!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you found a new sewing machine that will help you have many new creative journeys! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new power tool. I hope you have many good years with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the new sewing room set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this machine and it was my first electronic machine after years of sewing with a vintage Singer. Once you have the thread cutter it's not easy to use another :) It sews just fine, I only use the straight, zigzag etc. And the buttonhole maker has a LOT of quirks, at least on my machine but I can get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thanks for your feedback. I have yet to try the buttonhole maker so I will look out for the quirks. My first sewing machine was a Vintage Singer, the standard black with foot pedal.

      Delete
  5. Getting a new machine can be daunting with the learning curve. I got my last machine in 1994, a top of the line Pfaff, the 7550. I have loved that machine but would never buy a top of the line again. I have learned the expensive lesson that you do not use all the bells and whistles that come with them. So I bet you will love your new machine and happy sewing. Looking forward to seeing your new sewing room set up. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jean! Like you I loved my Designer SE but never used most of the bells and whistles. I am surprised with my new machine that I have decorative stitches that will probably not get much use. My sewing room is usable at this time, but I plan to get some new things that hopefully will give me more space, until then I am ready to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new machine. Such fun to experience and a journey to find! I am surprised you didn't check out Pfaffs. My sis got a great buy on a Pfaff Passport and it does all she needs without all the crazy bells and whistles that really put so many machines over the top, both technically and financially. Also, you are one of several I know of who canned their "combos", most with no embroidery backup. They just weren't using that function any more which I found really interesting. Good luck with your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny! I have never paid much attention to Pfaff, perhaps I should have. I have my sewing room mostly set up and decided I had to sew something to see how the new machine works. I have been impressed with it except for the basting stitch. I used to embroider a lot, but interest waned and then I see so many people starting to embroider.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...