Saturday, August 15, 2015

Culottes

This is the pattern I am working on
From McCall's website


I cut a size 16 and added an inch to the waist line.  I actually cut off the section from the pattern c/d length to e as I will never ever be tall enough for that length.  I also shortened that length by 2 inches. The length of the culottes at this time before hemming are longer than you are seeing on the model above.  My intent is to have them fall right below the calf.  

Instead of using 4 one-fourth wide elastic, I chose to use an 1 1/2 inch wide elastic.  Someone in an earlier post comment suggested two 1/2 inch elastic pieces; I may consider that if I make these again.

After inserting the elastic in the back waistband, I basted the side seams for fit and found that I did not need the extra inch at the waist and actually I basted an extra inch from waist to hemline.  As I noted above there is a lot of fabric with these culottes and it looked like the fabric was consuming me.

The fabric I am using is a rayon challis and it is perfect for this pattern.  You really need a fabric with drape.

I am going to have to shortened these or take a deeper hem for these to be the right length for me.

Hope to have some photos to share shortly.



4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures. Thanks for the tip on the elastic too.
    Bonnie @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are finally complete and I hope to wear them to work on Tuesday. Photos before work to follow.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy! I love this pattern - can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really a nice and easy pattern once you get the right fit. My next pair should be easy peasy now that I have the right width and length.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...