Monday, May 25, 2009

Sewing journey continues

I have been so productive for the past two days sewing my new dress in between many other necessary and fun activities. Gosh if only the holiday could be extended another day.


My latest dress is almost complete. I am so pleased with the fit. I decided to go with the finished measurements on the pattern. I still pin fitted the pattern and using the D cup front and side front pieces I still had to add an inch to the bust. I chose to use the size 16 but perhaps if I had used 18, I would not have had to do this. I used Sandra Betzina's princess bust adjustment technique to add the extra needed.

The waist and hip fit perfect. I have been using an 18 in other patterns and normally ended up taking up the seams to fit snugger. The 16 fit without any other adjustments. The dress is complete except for stitching down the armhole bindings and turning up the lower band attached at the hem line. The lower band is the same material as the yoke. I used an invisible zipper instead of using a regular zipper with lapped seam.

Someone asked if the dress is for casual wear or business. I am thinking more along the lines of business casual. I plan to make a knit short sleeve cardigan to wear with this. I have the knit fabric; I acquired it when I purchased the dress fabric. My ambitious plans for this holiday weekend was to have that cut and sewn also.

My rating for this pattern is high. I can see several other options to use to make additional dresses for summer and fall. Instructions are very good and no mislabeled pattern pieces. I hope to have photos later. Time to go eat strawberry shortcake!

1 comment:

  1. Bon appétit alors
    This post is such a teaser I can't wait to see the dress

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...