Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yesterday and today vaca time

Yesterday was a shopping day for me. I traveled to Greensboro, NC to go to a fabric/sewing machine store called Sew Heavenly. It was a nice trip as I also made sideline trips to Four Seasons Mall and Friendly Avenue Shopping Center.

The trips to the mall resulted in my trying on several suits of which only one fit. Three of the four suits were of the same brand-Kasper. Kasper petite suits have always fit me well and until the past few years. I believe that they along with other brands no longer have a standard for the same size clothing. All suits were size 12 petite and all were pant suits. The one I purchased require no alterations. The other three would have required that the pants be taken up in the front which I don't do, but I have someone locally who does a great job on alterations and has done this for me before so I could have purchased them with that in mind. However the jackets on the other three were too tight. I found this annoying which always reminds that I sew and can make garments to fit. The only thing is I don't necessarily like to make pants and normally petite pants have always fit in length and two of three above would have required hemming. Either I am shrinking or pants are just longer due to style.

I also found a great pair of shoes to go with the blue jacket. They too were on sale and were an inexpensive brand to begin with. They were a wedge slingback in a blue patent that blended well with the jacket. On more serious business days I will wear a black pump. (Could not find a web shot of the suit to show.)

Besides being a pattern,fabric and shoe-aholic, I love cosmetics. Locally I can get Lancome, Estee Lauder and Clinique (I call them the big 3 and they are good products), but I love Chanel and Bobbi Brown and when I went to the Belk's at Friendly Center, I was in cosmetic heaven-there was Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Benefit, Laura Mercier, Origins and Mac plus the big three. I went there for Bobbi Brown's new fall collection in Mauve. I got a makeup session on the spot and of course walked out of there with more than I planned to buy. Those sales people spot me a mile away as do the shoe sales people. Hey it is my vacation!!!!!

At Sew Heavenly, I had hoped to find some fabric but I left without any. They have gorgeous fabric and cater to smocking and more of the Martha Pullen children fashions, yet they also have other wearable art type patterns as well as numerous purse patterns. They carry Husgavarna and I got to see the new sewing/embroidery machine released in mid June. Great looking machine with a huge sewing/embroidery/quilting bed. I am still making payments on my current machine that is only a little over 18 months old. I did buy some pre-wound bobbins, embroidery stabilizer and a skirt pattern. I also got some help with Pattern Master Boutique. So no sewing yesterday but a fun shopping day!

This AM I cut out the Butterick pattern after making several fitting adjustments to the pattern. That in itself can be time consuming part of the sewing journey. I then went to CURVES and now I am writing this while eating lunch. Off to the shower and then I have some ASG treasurer's work to do as tonight is our ASG meeting. Hopefully I will get my sewing machine and serger set up for sewing as tomorrow AM will be sewing time before I do the normal Friday grocery shopping but will get that done early.

2 comments:

  1. what a great vacation! It sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda .- all this sounds very good story ..... uhmmm. purchases also relax the mind, a good day shopping delighted the spirit. I am delighted. have a great vacation. Greetings, Paco

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...