Thursday, July 08, 2021

Wearing Simplicity 9273

 I finally had an opportunity to wear the S9273 posted previously.  The pictures were taken after wearing.  A black top with black shorts does not photograph well.  Here is the back view; and you can see the sleeve pleats a little better in this picture.


 

I liked the comfortable feeling of this top. I still struggle with fitting issues with many Simplicity patterns. I went with 12 for the upper chest, shoulders, and neckline. Tapering to 14 from bust to hip.

I made several fitting adjustments prior to cutting out the fabric and during the sewing/fitting phase. My usual 5/8 forward shoulder adjustment, 5/8 high back adjustment, 5/8 swayback adjustment, and 1inch FBA. I did not sew the resulting dart.

The black fabric had both vertical and horizontal stretch. I ended up raising the shoulder seam for the front shoulder midway of shoulder to top of arm area by an extra 1/4 inch;  The vertical fabric stretch made the underarm area too long. Next time with this and probably other Simplicity patterns, I will need to make a 3/8 upper chest vertical tuck to the pattern to get a better fit in the underarm area.

I decided to cut the neckband on the bias to add interest using the striped fabric. 



I decided to use the striped fabric for the neckband and sleeve as my previous fabric choice was too heavy for the black crepe knit. Unfortunately, the pleated sleeve does not show the pleats as much as I wanted. The drawing of the pleated sleeve view makes one think the pleats will be rather full. The striped fabric has some heft to it but not enough to make the pleats fuller and noticeable.




The fabrics were purchased from Fabric Mart, The black striped fabric was purchased a few years ago and has been used in many projects with enough fabric still left for another project. The black knit was purchased this year.

I will sew this pattern again, having three views gives a nice variety to sew.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! It’s very cute and you just can’t go wrong with black & white stripes.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...