Thursday, April 22, 2021

Cursed or Jinxed Willow Wrap Top

 I really like this pattern. BUT!

The first one that I gave you a sneak peek of was not to be! The black knit was really not a good mix with the print knit but I kept going and then my serger ate a chunk of the sleeve and there was no way to selvage but to cut out another sleeve, BUT I was growing to hate the black fabric because it was not the quality I thought it would be. I ended up scraping this top.

I decided to use some knit fabrics I purchased from Sly Fox Fabrics, a solid aqua, and an aqua white stripe purchased in 2020. They both were ponte knits and had the appropriate stretch. 


Having almost finished the first one I knew all the sewing steps making it a quick sew. After sewing the sleeves and side seams it was too close-fitting. I decided I could try to remove the side seam stitches and sew a 1/4 inch seam giving me a little extra width. BUT, in doing this I ended up somehow tearing a hole in the back piece. Not a small cut but a cut that one would see even if I used a fusible to patch. 

At this point, I am taking a break from this pattern.  I have a lot of the striped fabric left and only a small portion of the solid, yet not enough of the solid to remake. I will have to consider how I could use the remaining fabric as it is perfect for a spring/summer look.

I will come back to this pattern and have decided to use a larger size. At least with a larger size, you can take deeper seams!

What next? Not sure, need to get a better frame of mind before moving on.



8 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I just had a similar thing happen with a knit only it got sucked into my feed dogs along with the stabilizer and under the plate...needless to say a large hole was there once I retrieved it (which wasn't easy). It's so frustrating but keep up the sewing mojo as spring and summer await! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know these things do happen, but two in a row! Actually I have moved on and have selected two patterns that the fabric will work with. I definitely new tops!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! How disappointing! I can relate--my sewing projects either run smoothly, or have a lot of bumps along the way. I hope your next garment goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I don't mind using the previous fabric as one was leftovers and the black knit is awful. This second one kind of hurt because I really like the fabric. Two of the recent purchased Simplicity patterns will work with what I have left over from this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when that happens! Makes you hesitate to use the fabric you really love for fear of wrecking it! Hope you can salvage the leftovers and good luck with your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated that it happened. I have decided on another project and have enough material to make it work.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...