Sunday, March 21, 2021

Where's the top?

During the Covid shutdown, I like some others gained some extra pounds over the past year. I have a sugar addiction and gave in to too eating more sweets.  As a result, some of my jeans and pants are now too small or when wearing created a muffin top! I had an overall increase in body measurements; resulting in some other garments being too close-fitting for my comfort.

The realization was I needed to remeasure high/regular bust as well as waist and tummy!  There were some extra inches definitely needed. Now with these new measurements, I am once again ready to choose new pattern sizes.

I also had a meeting with myself and discussed actions to take to get back to my former size. Weaning myself off sugar is a real challenge. To go cold turkey will result in failure, tried it/been there.

So what does this have to do with sewing, you ask? A lot.

After printing out the Burda pattern 113 from Burda issue 11/2018, I found that this pattern is not big enough. Since the pattern requires one to add seam and hem allowances, I added an inch to the side seams and used 5/8 seams for armscye, neck and shoulder. I then pin-fitted the pattern and was not happy with the outcome.  The back pattern piece is drafted way too small, underarm too high, etc. So I am working on more adjustments to the pattern piece and will add more width to the center back and see how that works.

I am also thinking the easiest thing to do would be to use a basic knit tee pattern that does fit and then overlay the front pieces of the Burda pattern to create the pattern style.

I was close to giving up but that will not be my option. This has not been the immediate gratification sew that I thought it would be. I am off now to work on needed adjustments! Updates to follow.


15 comments:

  1. "I also had a meeting with myself and discussed actions to take to get back to my former size" ... I laughed as I made a mental note to schedule myself for the same kind of meeting. The struggle is real. On a positive note: Sewing focuses on 'fit' not 'size'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sugar thing is the worst! I tried the slow weaning method and failed repeatedly. I finally had that meeting with myself and went cold turkey 3 years ago. I vividly remember my relief when the cravings went away after a couple of months.

    I gained some COVID weight due to constant snacking and it has settled in a ring around my middle. Fortunately this does not affect most tops unless they are woven and meant to be fitted around the waist. But my patterns for pants and skirts with a waistband are going to have to be sized up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you had success with cold turkey. I think that it was the cravings that got to me when I tried it that way. Thanks for sharing your sugar withdrawal success.

      Delete
  3. Same problem here! Fitting into the clothes I have lovingly made is motivation for me to work on my eating and exercise habits. I try to avoid sweets and carbs during the week but I give myself a bit of a break on weekends. Lockdown has been hard for exercise, but I’ve found that I love doing yoga at home without anyone watching my imperfect attempts! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before retiring, I avoided sweets and ice cream during the week, but gave myself a treat on the weekend. Now retired, weekdays and weekends are the same. I am now back to weekdays off sugar and only weekend treats. I also need to do some exercises and yoga is something I want to try.

      Delete
  4. I need to have a “meeting with myself” over a few things myself! Best of luck as you figure out the adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of having a meeting with oneself! I have a sugar addiction too. You could always use a "healthy sugar substitute" like erythritol, and begin replace white sugar in things such as coffee, tea, etc. There is a brand called Pyure that tastes amazing. I am sure you will work out the fit issues with where your body is now. I am so thankful for sewing because of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of erythritol or Pyure. Thanks for suggesting this. I use Splenda for coffee. I also am going to read labels when grocery shopping to see how much added sugar are in products I often buy. The fit thing will work out!

      Delete
  6. I just had a meeting with myself too. It is totally motivated by not being able to fit SO many clothing items right now so I need to clean up my diet.

    You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I am glad to read that there are many of us working on the sugar or food concerns. I have blood work next week and I am not sure I or my doctor will be happy! I can do this! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  7. Found delaying the first sugar hit to as late in the day as can manage helped me to reduce intake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sheila for this suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have a problem with sugar. I am trying to cure myself of the addiction by having fruit at the end of every meal. I sometimes use dried fruit which is much higher in sugar and that seems to help the cravings. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Good to know that others have the same issue and I enjoy reading how it is being dealt with.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...