Sunday, October 11, 2020

Feeling Blue, Sad and Mad!

I have attempted to go into my sewing room to begin new projects for fall. Once in the room, I cannot do much of anything regarding sewing.  I did go through some of my pattern stash and culled through those that I then posted on eBay this past week.

Life feels a little overwhelming of late. The loss of RBG was a huge loss and the actions of the majority of the  Republican senators rushing to fill that position, being very hypercritical of their words during the Obama era.   

Then the President keeps pushing the fraudulent vote by mail except when it applies to him. Plus adding that there may not be a peaceful transition should he lose. This adds to the divisiveness and continues to disrupt our democracy. I did not vote for him in 2016 and no way will I do so this election year. I realize making these statements may draw ire from many; and I still believe our country is a democracy, thus I should be able to express a different opinion without harassment. We are all free to vote for our beliefs; it is our right and responsibility to do so. Our democracy is being strongly tested.

The most upsetting of recent actions was the decision of the Louisville Attorney General regarding Breonna Taylor!! How can you charge someone for endangerment for shooting into other's apartments and not charge anyone for her death after being shot 16 times????????????? Really???????? I cannot wrap my mind around this.

To top things off is the President's coronavirus situation and his total disregard for the health and welfare of others. But then what can you expect from a mega narcissist.  My past career involved working with people with disabilities, including mental illness. Dealing with someone with this mental health issue was one of the most trying for my staff and I.  

I am truly concerned about our country and where this may all end. This is weighing on my mind and heart.  Sewing and blogging seem like a thing I once did not only for the pleasure of sewing and sharing with others who have the same passion. It also helped to reduce stress and lower anxious feelings.  It is just not working for me now.

I will get back to it in time, but for now, I am taking a break. I did wash some fabrics today, so that is a start but just could not go further than that.


24 comments:

  1. I agree with you and thank you for speaking out. I am very frightened by what is happening in this
    country too. I fought for women's rights and the ERA during the late 60s and 70s. and I am so
    worried it will all come undone. The other very frustrating thing is that it seems to me that most
    of those planning to vote for the current administration are really voting against their own self interest. Do they even realize they may not have social security or medicare when they need it? Oh I can go on and on but it's so upsetting and I fear for my own mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for comment. I too fought for women's rights. I am strongly against my country trying to take away my right to choose what I do with my body. I agree with you on Medicare and social security. It is very upsetting.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for saying what we are all thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I find writing it has helped me to not keep it bottled up.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I had to cut way back on checking the news after rbg passed and especially after the first debate. I remember that the headlines were so frightening and divisive earlier on the day that trump’s coronavirus infection was revealed that I cried and cried. Politics, fires, Breonna, weather, coronavirus, boom, boom, boom. I don’t think that it’s unpatriotic or shameful to take a break from the news if it’s destroying our health. We need to keep strong so that we can handle any crisis that may occur to us, our family, or our neighbors directly. I sure appreciate reading your blog but I also understand that there are times when you can’t focus or create and don’t have anything left to give. So many sewists have had the same thing happen this year, me too. Let me send you a virtual hug, and an imaginary hot shower, and my best wishes for a full, peaceful night’s sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nestki, thank you for you comment. Thanks for the virtual hug !!!!

      Delete
  4. It is hard to know what the current situation is asking of us. Certainly beauty is needed, and creativity is meant to create beauty. Your friends fabric, needle and thread will help heal your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thoughts. Linda. These are such stressful times. Throw in the isolation induced by proper pandemic care, the reduced contact with loved ones that we count on in times of stress and the division that can even arise in families where some have fallen under the spell of the cult. I too am worried for our democracy. I find it so sad that those I have spoken with who strongly support our president with a bit of discussion often reveal a great lack of knowledge of what a democracy actually is and how it functions, what rights are and how they intertwine and work for us all. While I also am experienceing the anxiety you mention and for the same reasons, it pains me to see what a rude, crude and intolerant society we have become. We are better than this people. Whether in business, family or politics, I've always said leadership at the top sets the culture. We need new leadership, one with empathy and respect for all at all times. I so long for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny, I so appreciate your comment ! I am feeling the same!

      Delete
  6. I agree with everything you've said here. It's such a rough time to be an American right now. I have also had my moments when I struggle with being "productive" with my sewing lately. I just remind myself that we are in a pandemic. It's ok not to sew. It's ok to sew. It's ok to cry. I have faith that things will get better. When you are ready, you will sew again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on all counts, Linda. Just holding my breath for Nov 3. At least working on wedding gowns can distract my mind for a little while. We are all frustrated the way the country has just been raped and stomped on whether you are a woman hoping for equality or the environment for a break and some safety from oil drilling and leaking pipelines running through tribal lands. My God nothing has been left untouched and or mutilated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments! I totally agree, glad you have some projects to help keep your mind off of things.

      Delete
  8. I agree with everything you said. This world is topsy-turvy and sometimes its hard to enjoy what you love when the world is falling apart at the seams. The Breonna Taylor verdict was so disheartening and makes me fear for my family on so many levels. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I just found your blog recently and I am happy that you visited my blog. I hope that the world rights itself soon!

      Delete
  9. I agree with everything you said and more. I have been willfully and deliberately uninformed for my own sanity. This downward spiral we're in is battering our souls. I know people who have started taking antidepressants and more. I just say vote blue . I'm going in person. I came to this country as an adult. One of my uncles asked me, about 15 years ago, what I thought of this country. My response was that this country was the hope of the world.. but people don't understand or appreciate what they have. There is so much good here, but people are so afraid, which is what the orange one relishes .. Fearful people don't think clearly: one can do whatever one wants. This country is worth fighting for. Don't be afraid. Say what you have to say regardless. You have earned that right: we all have. If you don't want to know what I think, don't ask, and I will always help someone else to stand. Remember that they are counting on people being too fearful to stand up for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a beautiful message! I am glad you saw the beauty in our country when you came here. I think it can be again.

      Delete
  10. Ditto every word. Thank you, Linda, and here comes another virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As they all said. I’m actually having to take medication for my extreme anxiety. The blood of 119,000 Americans on his hands. Bless you all, and you, Linda, for putting this terrible time into words.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...