Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Buttons, Buttons

 I have been sewing off and on the Melody Dolman shirt. It was as easy project to sew and the instructions are good. I am not always sure of my size with different indie pattern companies. With this pattern you select your high bust measurement to chose the size. Because of my measurement, it was suggested to use the full bust front pattern. I did this but did not trust the final bust measurement, because I found with the big 4, I always had to make a bust adjustment because of the cup size. 

So, baste on that, I did make an 1 inch bust adjustment.  Totally not necessary. I also used medium for upper chest area and large from bust down. I should have made a petite adjustment for reducing the length of the upper body. After basting the side seams, I knew I had made a top too large. But fixable. Next time I will use small upper area, tapering to medium from waist down.

I did shorten the length from waist to hip and that was a good adjustment. I ended up taking a 3/4 inch seam in the shoulder to reduce length of under arm area.  I also used a 5/8 seam allowance through the sleeves to just below under arm and then used a 3/8 seam allowance from waist to hip as the pattern was drafted for a 3/8 seam allowance.

All of those adjustments worked well.

And now, I have no buttons for this top. I have no white or pearl buttons anywhere to be found at home.  I was surprised by this as I usually only seem to have white buttons. My only in-store place to buy buttons is Hobby Lobby and their choices did not work for me. I am scanning the internet for a good source for buttons. Any suggestions of places to look would be appreciated.

So here is a glimpse of the almost completed top. I am not sure I will get to wear it after finding buttons as the weather has turned a little cooler, though it will warm up again, I am sure. The fabric is lightweight and to me, very spring/summer looking.




In spite of my issues, which were of my making, this is a great pattern to made a dolman sleeve top.





8 comments:

  1. I find it helpful to measure the widths of the pattern pieces, add them together and subtract the amount for the seam allowances. This gives me an idea of how much width there is to go around me. That way there are fewer surprises of too much or not enough garment width.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blouse. Maybe you can wear it under a cardigan or sweater in the cooler weather. Sorry, I do not know of any good online sources for buttons. Maybe Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice top. Thanks for the review,. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You top looks great!! You are right about the Melody Dolman. I made two versions and there is plenty of ease in the bust area. I thought this was a nice pattern too, and the Dolman sleeve was the main reason I chose it. I hope you find some buttons for your liking. I like Hobby Lobby, though I don't think their selection is vast at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like this blouse and trying to find a fabric for fall look. I put this aside for now and wanting to make a few other top styles that will work for fall and winter.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...