Friday, June 05, 2020

What Matters

I have been quiet about the current situation regarding George Floyd's death. I needed time to process and to think about the words I wanted to express.  I struggle to write what I feel.  I have never been as appalled as I was seeing how he died!  It was not the first time that this happened to a black male. It was definitely very visual to see the cop pressing on his neck and the look on the cop's face was pure hatred. He wanted him to die! I cry every time I see this clip.
 
I have been reading numerous posts on Instagram and a few blogs that have allowed me to learn more about the discrimination and pain that black people have endured. I have never felt I was a racist and the color of someone's skin has never been a thought when interacting with others.

However, I still have work to do as I have seen these acts of violence against black people and felt bad, but not bad enough! I realize that as a white person I have not had to feel or experience what others of color have felt. As horrible as Mr. Floyd's death was, it has been the catalyst for people and me to see what has been before my eyes but not registering deep enough to really understand and fight for change.

Before retiring I had a colleague in management make a comment about how my department was composed mostly of black people. I was stunned and surprised by this comment. The statement was true but the comment rankled me because I never thought about the color of the person's skin when hiring. I spoke with this person and expressed my concern over his comment. I wanted to understand why it bothered him; his response was he didn't really mean anything by it and I told him it obviously did or that comment would never have been made.

One thing that has stuck with me over the years and always believed was the song we sang in church as children.

"Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red or yellow, black and white they are precious in his sight" 

I have used this as a reminder and mantra all my life. By listening and reading I saw this sign and it truly hit home for me. "All Lives Can't Matter Until Black Lives Matter"

I have recently seen several organizations that want to help make a change and fight for an end to racism. I hope that supporting an organization for change is a start for me to continue to learn and do more to support change.   I am not sure what source is the most appropriate one to support. The one that spells out a plan is Solutions-Campain Zero. If you are reading this, I hope you will comment on a recommendation if there is one better.

And lastly, One other thing for change is to vote in the upcoming elections. It has been apparent since 2016 that our current president is not good for our nation. He did not get my vote before and will not this time either.














4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing.

    "All lives can't matter until Black lives matter." I love that, and it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda for so eloquently sharing your thoughts and experiences. I too share your realizations that we need to do more to support and defend our black brothers and sisters. Thank you for mentioning Solutions-Campaign Zero- I will be looking into it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. My hope is that there is a huge Democratic turnout in November. Our current president has made it ok for all the division in our country.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...