Wednesday, June 17, 2020

New Fabric and updates

Since retiring, I have not been buying lots of fabric. I am trying to sew more of my fabric stash. I have several knit fabrics to choose from. Some of the knits leave me wondering what the heck was I thinking when I purchased this.

I was sewing my second Sinclair Cachet tee. I am using fabric I purchased from JoAnn's a few years ago. I really like the fabric and it is easy to sew. I ran into an issue with the neckband on this one, had to remove stitching resulting in a tear in the neckband. I cut another one and had puckers that were too noticeable so I started to removed the second one and created a tear in this one. I decided to fold down the neckband and use it as a neck binding.  This worked after serging the piece to make it narrower.

I have hemmed the sleeves. And stopped there and sewjo has gone out the window.

I had cut a tee shirt pattern when I cut the Sinclair one and was able to use the same thread color for both fabrics. I was going to sew each pattern as batch sewing. However, the fabric for the McCall's tee was a horror to sew. I purchased it years ago from Fabric.com or Fabric Mart. It was a cotton knit, probably a blend. I have never had an issue with cotton knits but this one did not like any needle I used to sew it.  It was very frustrating and I quit trying to use it. So into the wadder bin.

I decided one fabric purchase would be therapeutic and ordered fabric from Sly Fox Fabrics.  I plan to use this for another Sinclair pattern I just purchased.  It is a ponte knit of good quality.  Here's a glimpse.



I love the aqua color and the combination of stripe and solid together.  

Now if I could only get my sewjo back. ðŸ˜”

8 comments:

  1. The aqua is GORGEOUS! I think it will look really pretty on you! Best wishes on your project, and getting your sewjo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The aqua color was very much like what I was expecting.

      Delete
  2. Aqua is one of my favorite colors for summer. Those fabrics look like really nice quality pieces. Have fun sewing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's too bad about the cotton knit! I've ran into fabrics like that before as well- very frustrating. But your new fabrics should get your sewjo back- they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning a new project for the new fabric. I was totally surprised by the cotton knit though; the needle(s) would just get stuck in to the fabric and just would not sew like it should.

      Delete
  4. How did I miss the news that you retired? Or has my brain leaked again? That's a big deal! Congratulations...however belated it might be....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I have so many blogs that I like to read but can't read them all at one time, so I too find life has changed for many of those bloggers. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...