Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Still here, some sewing

It has been almost a month since I last posted.  I have been sewing on the same tunic top in bits of time.  I had some issues with some of the steps in the sewing of this top.

First, the front bands presented a challenge as the steps prior to attaching them have you hem the tunic before attaching.  I knew then I was not going to like this method as usually for me the front bands end up too short. You have to fiddle with the end of the front bands to sew to a point and then fold in the ends and stitch.  I cut my bands longer than the pattern which gave me more fabric to turn in. I still had to fiddle with the stopping point so everything aligned. I prefer to attach first and then hem everything.

Then there was the collar issue.  I attached using the traditional method which turned out horribly.  I then remembered the tutorial on Closet Case Patterns for attaching the collar band and collar differently. Here is a link to that method. This worked beautifully.  Pictures to post will follow soon.

Now I have to insert the sleeves and then make buttonholes and attach buttons.

Will post update soon.

9 comments:

  1. So how are you liking retirement?! More or less time to sew? Doing other things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most days are good; other days I miss interacting with people. I thought I would be sewing more and I did at first. Lately I just don't have much sewjo! I like not having the stress of my job and have been looking at part time remote jobs. I stay active and this afternoon I have been sewing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda for the shirt collar link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to know you are hanging in there and still sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just getting settled in Florida after our move from OKC. This is my first day back online to look at blogs :) I can't wait to start sewing again, but my sewing room is far from being put together. Terrible move this time with the movers. They split our shipment up in 2 loads and it seems like everything is missing a piece, including my sewing tables...no legs and apparently in the load to come. I like to cut bands longer just so I have extra fabric to work with and cut off what I don't need. Sometimes patterns just don't have the measurements correct it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love Florida, lived in Lakeland for 9 years. It was a bedroom city to Tampa and Orlando. I would move there again if I could get my DH to move there again. I know what it is like having to set up your sewing room especially with parts still missing. Even after moving here a little over a year ago, I am still trying to rearrange my sewing space. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy Florida!

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...