Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Discoverer Tee-Ellie and Mac

I finally finished this top!  It should not have taken this long to complete as it is an easy pattern to sew.  I ran into issues with the neckline, operator error not the pattern.


When I attached the neckband to the neckline, I had a puckered place at the front area.  I just could not leave it alone; it was noticeable. I dreaded having to undo the stitching.  I normally do not use the stretch stitch on my machine.  I had read several posts about sewing knits and noted that several people use this stitch.  Soooooo! I decided to give it a try; I have tried it before and had to remove stitches and found it was not as easy to remove as a straight stitch or zigzag.  After seeing the pucker, I was hating that I used that stitch.

The solid green fabric is a rather lightweight knit and does not sew that well; it is easy to tear. So I began slowing to remove stitches and of course, I created a small hole and then another one and another one.  I think you get the picture. I decided that I would have to trim the neckline and cut a new neckband.  However, the new neckband was too small as I did not allow for the lower neckline in the front.  At this point, I did not have enough of the green fabric to create another neckband. I thought about using fold over elastic and had the perfect green elastic. I find using the FOE can be somewhat challenging to align the fabric neckline into the fold of the elastic. Knowing the fiddly fabric I am working with and my concern after aligning elastic and fabric and not have puckers or misalignment I decided to go another route.

So I attached bias tape.  I have used bias tape for knit necklines in the past with great success.    It worked with this top.  Meanwhile, my sewing time was limited due to several appointments for DH and me. I finally finished the top a few days ago.

I was able to take photos of me wearing the top yesterday and used my sewing room for the photo shoot. Without further comments-------

It looks like I am whistling, not sure why I puckered my lips.  I liked the photo of the top so kept it. I tried using my beachwaver tool on my hair as I had not used it since we moved. Going for a different look instead of straight and flat.  I need more practice.
Here is a semi-side view. at the last minute, I moved my hand right before the timer made the shot. Below is a view of the back and side seams where I did a great job (if I say so myself) of matching the design stripes.



One more shot of the front
I love green and it is one color that looks good on me.  I was glad to use up the solid fabric and the print is french terry.  All came from EOS.

As you know from a previous post, I am an Ellie and Mac affiliate and receive a commission if you use my link to purchase any pattern from their line up.  My opinions are my own.

I now know my sizes to use for this pattern line- large for upper chest and x-large from bust to bottom. This pattern includes upper bodice pieces for front and back. The bottom bodice is one piece and you cut fabric twice for front and back.  Because I normally need to make a sway back adjustment, I cut two lower bodice pattern pieces and used one for the back with swayback adjustment; the front bodice did not require any changes.  I cut the print fabric in a single layer for both bottom pieces and was able to cut so that the side seams would match the design stripes. I also made a 1/2 inch FSA. The pattern calls for 1/4 inch seam allowances.  I sewed most of the top using my serger, except for neckline band and then bias tape.  I hemmed the sleeves and bodice using my coverstitch machine which I have not used in forever!

It has been like spring for over a week now so this was my first spring top!  Last night it dropped to freezing temps and should go up to the 70's by afternoon.  I am so ready for permanent spring weather.  My focus for the next projects is to make a woven top and I want to make a jacket/cardi as well.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope are doing better from you hand surgery!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I like to run a basting stitch when I attach my neckbands. It's an extra step and takes more time, but a life saver to me if I have to unpick those stitches! I've been trying to find a way to curl my hair lately. With age, my hair has changed I guess. It use to curl so easy back when I was a lot younger and had more wave to my hair. I want to kick myself because I had hot rollers that I had for years and years and they were really good. I thought it was time for something shiny and new and tossed them. Well, they apparently don't make hot rollers the way they use to. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! Sometimes I do baste but then I get in a hurry and skip. This time I wish I had basted. I like you used to have thicker hair and also used hot curlers. All the gizmos for hair can be so attractive and I too think hot rollers are not the same at all.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...