Saturday, September 08, 2018

Wearing My Kalle Shirt Dress

Today I decided to wear my new dress.  It is really hot out and having on a dress is cooler to me than shorts; especially because it is cotton.

I wore it to Walmart and grocery store.  As I was walking down an aisle, I heard a voice say-"Oh, lady I love your shirt." I turned around to see if they were talking to me and she was.  She kept saying how cute this was and where did I get it?  I told her I made it and her comment was you did good.  That made my day.  Even before leaving the house, my DH kept saying you need to make some more like this, it is perfect for where we are now.  Twice in one day😄 with the compliments
.

DH took some pictures of me wearing before I left the house, were going to shoot a few outside, but way too hot for standing and posing.

Front view

Hand on hip view of front
I think with the cotton fabric that is does not drape as a rayon challi or silky fabric would.  I have to get use to the fullness.  I enjoyed that fullness when walking to and from my car to store.  The heat coming off the parking lot was stifling.

Here is the back view it looks pretty good in the photo; yet I think I could take out a little more fullness in the center back around waist area.  I have a narrow back and narrow waist in the back. I did shave off some width on the back piece after trying it on for fitting purposes.  I think I need to make a deeper swayback adjustment as the side seams swing toward the front when viewing the sides.

 I also have orange sandals that are about two years old and they have gotten a lot of mileage recently.  They go very well with this dress.

Some of the changes I made were :
  • taking a deeper seam in back area to reduce some fullness in center back at the waistline.
  • scooped out the neckline by 1/4 inch as collar would be too high on me.
  • kept the length of the pattern as many reviewers said it was short; I am 5'2" and the above gives you an idea where the front was right at knee area.
Tweaks for the next dress and/or tunic-not many at all!
  • forward shoulder adjustment.  When sitting the back pulls and the front neckband hits right under my chin
  • make a deeper swayback adjustment.
Wearing this as I type,it feels comfortable and loose. I am glad I made this as I kept putting if off.  The instructions and tutorials on Closet Case website were very helpful with some steps that were different for me.  I like the neckband method used, it was an alternative to the norm and I think I would incorporate this with other patterns.  Burrito method for yoke is included and very familiar with this method so that was a nice instruction included in the pattern.

Here is one more pose-semi side view

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

  1. This turned out great! I love your sandals with it. Mine is in a cotton-type fabric too and I really want a more drapey one. I want to make another one soon, but I'm struggling finding the right fabric that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. I liked your version as well. I too am searching for another fabric that will work for a tunic from this pattern.

      Delete
  2. Looks perfect for the weather you are having. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love it. It's so hard to find our style as our lives change, isn't it? g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is hard to determine what I should be sewing since most of my sewing has always pretty much centered around work and that "corporate" look. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Well it looks terrific on you and although I wasn't that taken with the pattern myself I think this is the favourite one I've seen. And unsolicited comments can't be wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely! The Kalle is such a great design overall. You deserve all those compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely in yellow! Your dress looks cool and stylish and makes me want to sew casual summer dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful! Love the color , great done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! It looks modern, fresh, and comfortable all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I remember reading your review and you mentioned forward shoulder adjustment, I know I need to do that on the next one,

      Delete
  9. I love the colour! It looks great on you. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your outfit looks beautiful, and I love your story of wearing your new dress for the first time to Walmart and the grocery store! :)

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...