Do I Stay or Do I Go

I had some great sewing plans for this week using two indie patterns for shorts and a top.  They are printed and ready for cutting and taping.  Then Florence has happened and it is anticipated that she is going to pack a wallop. So for two days DH and I have go back and forth with staying or going.  I have heard from several people that they are staying and others not.  Fortunately we made the decision to live close to the coastline, not on it. However, we keep hearing about sea surges.  We know about flooding, the month of July we had only 5 days WITHOUT rain. Still this is huge hurricane.

We have decided twice to stay and twice to go.  What we are hearing and through website views, the highways are jammed pack mostly from people coming through from South Carolina going wherever.  Hotels are booked, roads are jammed and dealing with hysterical drivers are as much of a concern as dealing with the storm itself.

I lived through one hurricane while living in Corpus Christi, TX and it was not a Cat 4 or 5.  We moved to Santa Rosa, CA and two weeks after arriving there was the huge earthquake in San Fran and Oakland.  We were impacted also.

So I guess it is only fitting that we have another adventure with Mother Nature.  So we will hopefully decide one way or the other by tomorrow when a mandatory evacuation begins for our county.

Prayers are appreciated for the NC coastline!




Comments

  1. Praying for you what ever choice you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect an individual’s choice, but if it does reach Cat. 5, the destruction in catastrophic. The storm surge, coupled with the anticipated stalling of the storm and it dropping incredible amounts of rain makes this one I would not ride out. Please go, but if you don’t I shall be praying nonetheless for you. If you wish to drive as far as North Central Alabama, I have plenty of rooms available for you, and PLENTY of machines, fabric and patterns to keep you as busy as you’d like. I stocked the fridges yesterday. Come on down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly appreciate your comments and the offer of lodging. We continue to make preparations for Florence and will decide soon what we are going to do. A few of our neighbors have to stay because of jobs, some have left. Starting to board up windows.

      Delete
  3. A level 4 or 5 making landfall is nothing to toy with. Please pack your necessities and valuables, while you still have time, and go even before it's mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe ! I hope all will be good for you.xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be thinking of you and all the folks impacted by this storm. Stay safe, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  6. We evacuated from Myrtle Beach to Florence S.C. two years ago for hurricane Matthew. We paid outrageous rates to stay in a hotel there. We had no electricity, hot coffee, hot food etc. for our three days there.
    Folks who rode it out at the condo on the beach did just fine. Power was restored there before it was in Florence fifty miles inland.
    Our first concern, after our personal safety of course, was the threat of our car getting flooded or damaged by falling debris as we would need to drive back to Canada at month's end.
    Then again, Matthew is not comparable to Florence.
    Do hope you make the right decision but I know it's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From this Linda to another, thank you for sharing this. Trying to finalize plans.

      Delete
  7. Fall Festivals are going on in Quebec...a judicious distance from Florence and the Storm Surge...just sayin'

    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty good distance from Florence. This AM she has reduced winds down to Cat 2 and some forecasts say she is breaking up some.

      Delete
  8. This is from a former Wrightsville Beach resident. Get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, thanks for stopping by and your recommendation. I think we probably should have made that decision yesterday. We are hearing that she is breaking down some know and winds are at Cat 2 potential to lessen from that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Wearing My Kalle Shirt Dress

What to do while waiting for Florence

Sewcialists

Sewcialists