Sewing Staycation Success

I truly enjoyed my time off this past week.  I was able to complete three sewing projects.  The first one was posted here.

The second project was another McCall's sweater knit top, M6796.  My first version of this pattern was a year ago.  The second version I deemed a success.  There were lots of side seam matching due to the design.  I cut both front and back pieces as a single layer so that I could get stripes and design patterns to match up.


Here is the finished top on a hanger.  The above side view was a work in progress photo.  Wearing photo will come later.

I decided to use the striped area at the shoulders and the floral design for the bottom.  This created I thought less matching issues at the bottom.  For the collar I wanted to have the floral part of the fabric at the neckline to tie in with the floral bottom portion of the top.  The tops shown on the pattern envelope show adding buttons to the collar.  I am not going to add buttons to this one as I think the fabric should be the focal point at the neckline.

The final item I made and finished hemming this morning was another McCall's pattern.  The fabric used was recently acquired from Fabric Mart.  It too is a sweater knit similar in weight to the fabric used with the top above.  That fabric was from EOS and was purchased about a year ago.

Here are a few shots of the cardigan with back peplum.


AlmaMarie (dress form) has wider shoulders than I do so the garment looks quite different than on me.  This was an easy peasy pattern to sew.  I made my usual adjustments, FBA, FSA, swayback and back length adjustments.  I think I still need to make another FBA adjustment; because there is no closure this current size works but I would like it to be a little more closed than it actually is on me.

I think this will work with pants, dresses as well as top with skirt.

I have enough of this fabric to make a short sleeved top with turtle neck of which I have a few patterns that fit that design.

I think I am now ready to move on to some other more challenging patterns.  It was nice to get immediate gratification from these garments.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous print for your top Linda and you can NEVER go wrong with houndstooth.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faye. The fabric wore well also.

      Delete
  2. Oh Linda don't make me buy that houndstooth knit! This looks fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice fabric and just warm enough to wear over another knit top!

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely top and a spectacular cardi. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wore to work last week and it truly past the wearability factor.

      Delete
  4. I made up the same top yesterday. Nice matching at the side seam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will visit your site and hope to see your version.

      Delete
    2. I visited your blog and I like both versions of this top.. I am thinking of trying the version like your blue/green one. Since I have the fit perfected it should be an easy sew.

      Delete
  5. The cardi is so lovely! You'll be able to wear it with lots of pieces of clothing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Out with the Old, In with the New

Sewing Interruptus!!!

Oh no!

Sewcialists

Sewcialists