Progress and disappointment

I have had a terrible stomach virus; most everyone at work has had it and I hoped that it would miss me.  I was out of work for 2.5 days with this stuff.  I was sick enough to make my DH come home and take me to emergency care.  I am almost back to "normal" for me.

I felt well enough to baste the side seams of V8904 today and I was hesitant to show you the outcome.  I am disappointed in the solid color I used as it is a lighter weight than the striped fabric and where it is placed is not pleasing to me.  Some of what I dislike shows up in the following photos.  I edited to showcase the areas I don't like.

The underlying striped fabric colors shows through as does the stitched edge.  I think this is due to the solid fabric being lighter weight and not as opaque.  You can see it in both photos.   The top tier (striped fabric) I think needs a vertical bust adjustment also.

The side seams are basted and I sewed 3/8 inch seams from hip to the end of the sleeve, I think I could go with 1/2 inch seams.  From hip to hem line I sewed 5/8.  All edges are raw.

Here is photo of the back.  Even with adjustment made in the mid tier for swayback, I think it needs more or something?!
Perhaps it needs what I call a high hip adjustment.  I am not liking this look.

As others noted, all of these layers sewn to a base fabric becomes heavy.  The lighter base knit fabric I used was great for this and if it was darker color then the solid color may have looked more opaque. 

I am going to call this a test garment or muslin.  I am putting it aside for the time being and decide what the next version should be and the fabric it should be, maybe I will use a dark solid for each layer.

I am starting another dress project, Version 2 of Butterick 5917.  I am going to use the longer sleeve with the straight fitted dress.  I am using a navy wool/rayon gaberdine I acquired from Fabric Mart the latter part of 2012.  I am going to line the dress instead of just lining the bodice.  More information to follow.



Comments

  1. I really like the striped fabric, I hope you can find a way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some left over and plan to make a knit top from it.

      Delete
  2. I have so wanted to make the shingled dress, but since summer is gone, I wanted to make it in a dark ribbed knit - which of course I can't find locally. I know you will work this out.
    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I am feeling much better. I am going to make another shingle dress. The challenge is finding the right stretch and fabric combo!

      Delete
  3. I think the contrast and stripes is visually creating an effect that is not what you want. I think a plain colour, as you plan, will work better and look very elegant. Cheering you on for round 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I think I am going to go with solids that are more opaque.

      Delete
  4. It's too bad your two fabrics don't play well together, because I love this look! The stripes make it funky while the solids ground it, and the shapes are interesting and flattering. I'm sure take two will be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing Interruptus!!!

Out with the Old, In with the New

Simplicity 8425

Sewcialists

Sewcialists