Writings on sewing related subjects, as well as whatever suits my fancy.
Vogue 8815 in progress
The top is almost complete. Here are photos I took before sleeves were inserted and top hemmed.
Here is the top with yellow fabric pinned to AlmaMarie to give you an idea of how the top will look with the coordinating fabric which will become a skirt.
The top and skirt fabric was acquired last year from Les Fabrique in Charlottesville, VA. The owner was a presenter at one of our ASG meetings. I thought the floral fabric was a retro looking fabric and will the peplum style making a comeback I thought this was a perfect top to make.
I decided to participate in the 2018 RTW Fasters and continue to participate in MAGAM. I am off to slow start with both, at least it seems slow to me.
My first garment for the year is still a work in progress. It is the Halifax Hoodie by Hey June. The instructions are good, though they jump around a little. It is drafted for much taller women that I. I reduced the length by 1.5 inches, reduced the sleeve length by one inch but ended up taking another 1/2 inch off because when I add the cuffs those sleeves are going to be really long.
I used fabric from stash-Girl Charlee Mustard Ponte and LaFinch fabric used in the Pamela's Peplum. Plus the cuffs and waistband are from ribbing knit acquired from Fabric Mart last year.
My plans are to sew more casual clothing for 2018 and to finally make a pair of good fitting pants. My current casual/business tops are being worn to death. Some will last forever, I am just tired of wearing them. Others are beginning to peel and hate that…
This year garment sewing slowed to a crawl. I read other blogs and many bloggers garment output was triple and quadruple compared to mine. I sewed garments using mainly Big 4 patterns witha Style Arc, Pamela's Patterns, Sewhouse 7, New Look and the Tunic Bible patterns as part of the mix as well.
I finally finished McCall's 7636. My plans to finish this pattern during the Christmas holidays did not happen. I got close but so much was going on that week that I found less time to be in the sewing room.
I was bound and determined to finish this for this holiday weekend and yeah! it is done.
Let me say that I found this pattern to be well drafted and the instructions were great. The pattern is real loose and it is important to pay attention to the finished measurements on the pattern pieces. The shoulders are wide and somewhat dropped; I reduced the width of the shoulders by 5/8 and probably could have reduced by 3/4.
My double knit fabric was one with a coating on the front that gave it a faux leather or scuba knit feel. I used a larger size needle to sew this and glad I did. At times I was sewing through several layers of fabric, lining fabric, zippers, piping, etc.
I highly recommend this pattern to those with more sewing skills than a beginner.