Sunday, December 05, 2010

On to the next--

Skirt is complete. I was able to successfully use the blind hemmer.  Took some time to practice, made adjustments to the edge guide and tension.  Here's the thing, I don't like the skirt.  The gathered side is not staying gathered, it is just too limp.  I think I used the wrong wool.  The pattern calls for tropical wool and mine is a wool gabardine.  As my DH said, chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.  I am going to put it aside for a day or two and then decide to keep or donate to Goodwill.

So next is another dress pattern-Butterick 5415.  I am using a black and white geometric double knit fabric with black double knit for yoke.  I am making the black and white view on the pattern envelope, though I think I will use black fabric at hemline also.

I get so many compliments when I wear the dresses I made from Simplicity 2798 that I am also going to make another one from this pattern.  I have perfected the fit and so I think I need to make something that will be a winner.

3 comments:

  1. Oh it's such a bummer the skirt didn't turn out as you had hoped, but I'm glad you have two patterns ahead of you that you are excited about. I will look forward to seeing them. Hope your week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have those "learning experiences", unfortunately. Goes with the territory. I've often wanted a blind hemmer, but instead, do my hems by hand. Hope it does a good job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely skirt, too bad it isn't working for you. Sometimes when I make items with pleats or big tucks like the ones on your skirt, and I am afraid they won't hold their shape, I sew along the pleat fold matching lines on the wrong side of the fabric beyond the seam allowances into the garment a short ways to where I want them to release. I am not sure if I am explaining it well.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...