Paulina Top

I completed the Paulina Top and I am pleased with the outcome!

This is PDF pattern that you print out.  The nice thing about this pattern is that it uses layer printing so you only print the size(s) you need.  For me with this pattern I printed the 10-12-14 sizes.  Once I print and tape all the pieces together, I then trace the pattern pieces onto Swedish Tracing paper and then pin fit the pattern.

This time around I took the necessary time to determine the correct sizes I needed instead of just printing a size 14 and going for it.  Results were not good.

I used a a size 10 for neckline and upper chest area, then graded to size 14 for bust to waist area, then back to 12 and using the shortest length.  After pin fitting, I added an inch to the bust area in the front only using pivot and slide method.  It was important to add the inch as the woven fabric underneath the cropped bodice needs to fit well.  I used the added inch for the cropped bodice also and probably did not need to do so as the knit is more giving and I had to take a deeper side seam because of the fabric gaping.  I still have some gaping and will remove this for future tops.  I am going back on this one and take it in some more.

I made my usual swayback adjustment of 3/4 inch and added an inch to the neckline as this is a wide neckline, this is my personal preference.  The sleeves are very long and the bicep area very full.  I shortened the sleeves 2 inches and took a deeper seam than the 3/8 seam allowance.  I also took in about 1/2 inch at the front and back neckline as I had some gaping there.  The neckline is finished with bias band or bias tape.  I decided to use bias tape in blue.

The fabrics used came from two sources, the navy blue knit is from Fabric Mart and the woven floral stripe is a rayon fabric from The Fabric Market.  I love this fabric and considering buying more if still in stock.  Lovely and easy to sew.

Here are some other views of the top.  Excuse my faded look, I have had a viral infection that has stayed with me for about three weeks.  I am on the mend but there is a horrible cough associated with this virus and I am prone to bronchitis so have coughed and coughed for days.
Sleeve fullness and cut out under the armhole

Back view

Front view

Semi side view

Woven underlay


When I started the project before getting ill, we were still have cooler temps and I thought I could get some wear out of this before temps rose.  I still might.  Yesterday it was 80 degrees and this would have felt hot while outside.  

I can see another one of this for fall.  

I am a Itch to Stitch Affiliate and wanted to give full disclosure about that.  My review of the pattern is my personal experience with it.  There is a link on the sidebar if you have an interest in purchasing this or any other Itch to Stitch pattern.





Comments

  1. Hi Linda, I mentioned in the group that I love your top and fabric combination. Now, I am seeing the detail and I love it even more :)
    Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much better thanks. And thank you for your comment about the top!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Out with the Old, In with the New

Sewing Interruptus!!!

Oh no!

Sewcialists

Sewcialists