Sunday, April 19, 2015

New Addition to the Sewing Room

This is the iron I used for 10+ years. It has been a good iron. However lately when the iron heats up and the steam button is pushed discolored water leaks from the iron. There really should be no water coming from the iron because the water is in the base unit. Fortunately I have not damaged any fabric yet.

When cleaning out the base unit a plastic screw type item fell out. Not sure of its function. Some other peculiar things were happening with the iron. I decided that I would look for a new iron.

Because I had use the Rowenta iron with good success I began to look at new Rowenta irons. Yet I learned that they were being manufactured elsewhere and that experience with the newer models was not satisfactory. I happened upon Oonaballoona's sewing blog and her post about a Maytag iron.

After reading the blog post I began to do my own research and found that this was a reasonably priced iron, much less than what I paid for the Rowenta over 10 years ago, and that the features were very likable. I then researched where I could buy the iron hoping that I could buy it from a local retailer. I found that I could purchase it from J C Penney but it would have to be ordered online. Of course there was Amazon also. I knew that I could get the iron quicker from Amazon than J C Penney based upon previous shipping experience.

So my new iron arrived earlier this month and for the past couple of days have been able to use it quite frequently. I like how it functions and the feel of it.  The steam feature is good, almost as good as my old Rowenta when it was new.  It is fairly light weight and the ease of filling the water tank is a nice feature given that the Rowenta held a lot of water in the base unit.  I think it was a good purchase for the price and the two year warranty.  Let's hope it last longer than that.

8 comments:

  1. I just purchased a Rowenta made in Germany. You have to look (I did see one on Amazon, but my local Bed, Bath and Beyond had it), It didn't cost any more than the made in China ones. I had 2 leakers before I figured out why they weren't like my first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my previous Rowenta. The ones made in Germany appear to be the best.

      Delete
  2. The next great thing to a good sewing machine. That looks like a great iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. As Nancy Z always says sew, press, sew!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new addition. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am starting to like this even more.

      Delete
  4. Oh, when I saw the preview pic on my bloglovin feed I was hoping you went for the maytag! I adore mine, I hope you love yours too. Yesterday I was pressing silk with the water tank removed and it was so nice to leave that weight off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to read your post on this iron. I had just started looking for a replacement and was surprised to learn that it was a Maytag iron. Who knew, not me. I am liking it more and more. I have to fill it more frequently than my other iron, but so easy to do!

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...