Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Vacation and Sewing

Our vacation, as most do, seem to speed along. Actually it has been a resting vacation for both DH and me. We like to ride our motorcycle when the weather is not too hot or too cold. Yesterday was one of those days where it was overcast and thus temperatures stayed comfortable. We rode to a restaurant called the Pink Cadillac which has a great 50's theme going on and of course a 1950's model Pink Cadillac sits on the property. It is located close to Lexington,VA home of VMI. It attracts a lot of tourists who are visiting the area. Some day I must take photos just like all the other tourist do. After eating lunch we rode up to Fairfield, VA on the back roads and listened to music as we rode. We returned home around 4:30 and I spent time in the sewing room.


This is what I am working on:


I am making View B but without the ruffle as I ran out of material. I really like this pattern, so far. It comes with B,C,D cup sizes. The instructions are good but I don't like how they have you attach the upper and low sections together so I am doing it my way. They have you sew the upper front and back together at shoulder and side seams. Then you sew the lower pieces together for the front and back. You then hem the lower edge and then attach to the upper pieces. I prefer and do sew the lower front pieces together and attach to the upper front pieces and do the same for the back. Then I sew the front unit to the back unit. This allows in my opinion better fitting opportunity or adjustments. You also have one continuous side seam.

The fabric I am using comes from my stash and is a lovely rayon fabric I purchased from Textile Studios several years ago-at least more than two years ago. It was a breeze to cut out and it sews great. I will take photos later. I actually have a complete bodice unit made and hemmed the blouse. This is done prior to attaching the front bands. I am following the instructions here at this point as I have not made a blouse that has a front button band in a couple of years. I have made pullover or back zipped blouses. So there maybe a better technique than this but this one seems to be easy enough to follow and under stand.

More later.

2 comments:

  1. Linda .- I am glad they had a good time on vacation. The blouse is very beautiful and romantic and modern airs. I will be awaiting their progress ..... Ahh. I loved the dress in the previous post, congratulations. greetings, Paco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Days on the bike are fun, aren't they? Too few and far between for DH and I... That McCall's pattern is on my worktable, so I'm eager to see how you find it. Thanks for the piecing advice!

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...