Saturday, June 11, 2022

Disappointed 😞

 I am very disappointed with this SoSewEnglish Florence top pattern. It is not only the pattern; my fabric choice and colors are disappointing as well. The style was not flattering.

The pattern provided a range of sizes and I selected the sizes that I normally would use with other patterns. This ended up with a fit that was way too large for me. There was no information about ease which in my opinion is critical for a pattern style like this and many other indie patterns provide this.

It calls for a 1/4 inch seam allowance which was not a deal-breaker when purchasing the pattern but I am not fond of 1/4 inch seam allowance. I prefer 3/8 to 5/8 inches. In the end with the overly large fit, I ended up taking a 5/8 inch seam allowance for side seams.

Front view-a pregnant look not for an older woman.



The bodice has princess seams which I took an additional 3/8 inch after attaching to the peplum. I cut off 3/8 inches at the shoulder before inserting the sleeves.

With all the handling the neckline stretched out. My fault as I should have stayed stitched or used fusible knit seam tape to prevent this.

I normally do not wear these colors, yet I was drawn to the fabric when purchased. Not my best fabric decision.

Other adjustments made before sewing were lengthening the bodice as the bust area would have been right up against the boobs. The gathered skirt had no pattern piece but the information was provided on how wide and length the skirt should be cut. I shortened the skirt length by 1 inch.   I did my usual upper back adjustment and raised the front neckline by 1 1/2 inches.

After all, was sewn together, I almost decided to donate to charity or simply wad it up. I decided that I can wear this at home when doing chores around the house. I did a short serge stitch for the sleeve and bottom hems.
 
Here are two more pics of this top. The best view is of the back.




I have about 1 1/3 yards left of this fabric. I may be able to incorporate it as a separate piece for a color-blocked top.  On to the next project.


6 comments:

  1. I actually like the fabric; but have shied away from that baby-doll gathered style. It looks cute on the lithe 20-somethings, but I think I'd have the same reaction you did if I tried it. But I bet it's going to be a very comfortable around-the-house top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa, this style of a baby doll, gathered under the bust, is far too much like the maternity styles of old. I am a curvy person that would not try this due to previous fails. Also, I am in the same age group as you and have had some pattern fails in the last 10 years that were like this. We are also semi retired, trying to manage on less funds...I seldom by fabric or patterns now, unless I have a gift of money to do so.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you sleep in it? And use the left-over fabric to make pajama pants? I try to make ALL of my "regular" clothing as comfortable as pajamas, so that when they finally achieve a degree of shabbiness that even I will not wear out in public, they can find a new home in the sleepwear drawer. (It's hard for me to throw away favorite clothing items, especially me-mades.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I have done that before. I actually gave the leftover to Goodwill along with a few other leftover fabrics that something could be made from them.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...