Thursday, May 20, 2021

UFO completed-Melody Dolman

 I finally completed my Melody Dolman top. It has been waiting around for finishing touches for almost a year. I am happy with the outcome and planning my next one.

I had to tack down the sleeve cuffs. I stitched in the ditch at shoulder and side seams. Being a soft fabric this will help in keeping the cuffs turned up.

The final thing left was to sew buttonholes and buttons. I think it has been over 2 or 3 years since I sewed something needing buttons. I used snaps on another project which I found easier to do than the buttonholes.

My sewing machine (Husqvarna) has a special buttonhole foot that memorizes the size button and supposedly stitches the same size for all buttonholes. I wish that it did, but I seem to have one sometimes two buttonholes that are not the same. For this top, it was only one that was off. Removing stitches is always a bear, particularly for the soft fabric. I had pieces of washaway stabilizer to help give the buttonhole some support while sewing. 

I also have a special button foot that normally works well when sewing on buttons. I realized with the buttons that I used for this top, not being totally flat would not stay in place for stitching. I broke 2 needles and resorted to hand sewing to attach the buttons.

In spite of this, my top is complete.  It needs a good pressing before I wear it. I took pics of the completed top on the hanger and will post more when I press and wear it.




Thanks for stopping by! I have two projects I want to sew next, one is a knit and one is another challis fabric.  More later.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful blouse for the summer Linda! I love the flowerful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty top. Aren't you glad you finally finished it. I too have mixed results with my Husqvarna plug in button hole foot. Especially if fabric is bulky or soft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! Interesting that you have this issue also. I think I may do better with marking the fabric and manually sewing.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...