Butterick 6628 Complete

I finally completed the top. I was able to take some photos of the finished garment hanging. I hope to take some pictures of me wearing it soon. Depending on the weather I hope to wear it during the class reunion weekend. At the previous reunion the weather was still very warm. We just had a dip in the temperatures here over the past couple of days and whether that will last into the following weeks is unclear. As much as I love summer, this past summer was brutally hot!

Another person who made this top told me that she found the bust to run small. As a result, I decided to go with a larger bust size than I normally wear. I did not want to make an FBA because the front was two pieces and more time-consuming. I hoped that the larger size would work and it did.

Here are photos of the completed top.

Front view

Neckline-bias binding

semi-side tie 


Back view


I ran into a few sewing glitches with this top. Mainly because of how I cut out several sizes from the bust to waist to hip. As a result, I believe the front is a tad longer than the back which worked out OK. What I found was not clear in looking at the pattern originally; there was a side front seam that makes up part of the waist tie. I found the instructions to be a little unclear even with the illustration. After studying this for some time and manipulating the fabric around I was able to understand how this was to be sewn.

I went from size 12 for the upper chest and shoulder to 22 at the bust back to 18 at the waist and hips.
I cut the length for size 16. I chose not to use the flounce sleeves instead cut them for 3/4 length.

The neckline was to be turned under 5/8  and topstitched.  I don't always like how this looks, so I used black bias binding at the neckline instead.  I think it gave it a nicer finish.

On to my next project which I am still debating.  I have some "hybrid" woven fabric from EmmaOneSock, which I purchased a couple of years ago. I also recently purchased the same material in a royal blue color.  I washed the black and brown fabric from stash but not the blue.  I still may. I am debating several patterns and trying to use ones I have had good success with before.

More updates later!

Comments

  1. This top looks wonderful! I totally agree with the finishing of bias binding on the neckline, and you made me realize I should do that more often for tops that have you turn and stitch. Have fun at your class reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really pretty! I'm glad the sizing worked out for you!! Sometimes it seems impossible to work out a FBA on certain patterns!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Deja Vu and this and that

M7904-The shirt that is a shirt now!

Archive

Show more