Friday, January 04, 2019

What about 2018?

I have been busy catching up on various blogs and most everyone that I read posted collections of garments made, sewing goals met or not, as well as plans for 2019.

So! What about my 2018?

  • I retired February 2, 2018.  DH retired January 31; he had been out of work since October with rotator cuff surgery.  Those first few weeks following his surgery required me to take intermittent FMLA to shuffle him off to the doctor or PT as he couldn't drive.
  • We had begun looking for a new location to move out of the mountains toward a coast.  Mountains are great to visit but living around them feels stifling to me. I know other people who feel that way and we have had endless conversations about that.  Flatland, saltwater smell, seagulls are so pleasing to me. We moved in May to North Carolina, near the coast, not right on it.  It is amazing the cost of homes on or near water.  In the end, this proved to be a better decision because we got to experience Hurricane Florence.  Thank goodness it dropped to Category 2 when it hit or damage would have been worse. We were inland enough to not experience the damage that Jacksonville, New Bern, Wilmington, and Topsail Beach did.
  • The new home is smaller, we wanted that.  Downsizing required a lot of fabrics and patterns being donated to Goodwill or given to other sewists as my new sewing space is limited. I am adapting. Still selling some patterns on eBay.
  • As for makes for 2018, not near as much as previous years. Go here to see what I made and posted about on Pattern Review. I also only purchased 10 paper patterns, I think that was a record for me. I also only made 8 fabric purchases and won 1 fabric from EOS through PR.  Another record for me. I did, however, buy several indie pdf patterns.
  • We have made some new acquaintances since moving and still traveling around our area to see what more there is to offer. We have found two hole in the wall restaurants that have great food at great prices.  Seems to be the place where all the long-term locals go. I also have been cooking more and have surprised myself on some of the foods that I have cooked that have been successful.  I will never be a gourmet cook!  Don't have the desire either.
  • DH continues to have back issues and is currently going to PT for that.  Most all of my neck/shoulder issues have disappeared and the only flair up is when overused.  I am pretty sure that a lot of it has to do with not working and the loss of stress from that.
  • All in all, not a bad year personally.  I am concerned about our country and the current government shut down.  The impact on retirement savings is something I like many others are/will be watching.  
2019 Plans for sewing

I am not great at setting sewing goals.  When I know of some event that is coming up I then plan out what I am going to sew for it and all that I need for sewing the particular garment.

I am still trying to figure out just what I need and want to sew to work with my current lifestyle. I don't need career/business style clothes now.  My focus has been pretty much on making tops and I did meet one sewing goal for 2018 and that was making a pair of pants.

I will be trying to make some shorts for 2019. The kind with drawstrings and/or elastic for the waist.

I am currently working on completing McCall's 7874 which I have written about prior to this post.  Almost done.  After that, I have a Jalie pattern to sew, more to share about that later.  I did purchase some new fabric for that project.  I want to make a hoodie, a long cardigan as well as midlength, and I want to make the Fulton Sweater Jacket fabrics are in my stash.

I hope to start a monthly sewing planner and see where that takes me.

I appreciate all of you that stop by and read my blog; I appreciate comments and do try to respond as much as possible.   Wishing everyone a healthy and happy 2019!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It's something to look back on a year...yours was quite full!
    Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2019!! I look forward to seeing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You were a busy sewist this past year.

      Delete
    2. Hello, love spell is what you need to solve persistent break up in your relationship with the help of Dr Ekpen, you can make your relationship work again contact him via email at ekpentemple@gmail.com or whatsapp +2347050270218 to get your ex back within 48 hours.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've had a busy year, all the best for 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your year was filled with a lot!! I am glad you have gotten settled, and look forward to how 2019 shapes up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a big year! I can't wait to see where 2019 takes you.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...