Saturday, December 08, 2018

Isn't It IRONic !

I started a post last week to talk about irons and how I truly love  loved my Reliable Iron

that I purchased July 2017 from Amazon.  $169 is pretty steep yet I had seen it in use and decided I could afford it.

I really did like this iron as the steam feature is excellent.  It has an auto shut off feature that you can override as well, which I did when I was sewing.

Then Sunday, I was pressing some seams and the iron began to make a strange sound, similar to the sound it makes when the water reservoir is almost empty.  Yet this was not empty. I picked it up and the sound stopped and I set it back down.

I then went to my serger to sew and a light placed near my serger began to flicker as did the overhead light.  That was strange.  Then my iron started flashing the steam LED lights and making a noise.  I turned off the iron and the lights stopped flashing.  The iron is plugged into a wall that is not near my sewing or serger machines so I did not think it was a circuit overload.

I waited a little bit and then turned the iron on again and the loud sound and the steam lights were both flashing.  I cut it off again.  I then carried the iron to another area in the house and plugged it in and noise and flashing occurred again.

I did not know about any warranties with the iron and when you sew you need an iron.  With no backup, I decided that I would have to replace the iron.  I looked on Amazon and yes their shipping is quick but not quick enough.  I then looked at irons on Bed, Bath and Beyond website and decided a Rowenta iron was one I would try.  The next day I went to BBB and purchased the Rowenta Pro Master Excel and using a 20% off coupon I was able to purchase for less than $100.

There are some differences of course compared to the Reliable iron.  To steam a garment you have to push the steam button, the Reliable starts steaming either light or heavy depending on the feature you selected as soon as you pick up the iron.  There was no spray feature with the Reliable but the Rowenta has one.  It takes tap water as did the other iron and I like the point on the sole plate of the Rowenta better as you can get into small and tight places with that point.

I had a different Rowenta Steam system previously that lasted several years and loved it.  When it gave out then I went with the Reliable.  I have seen both positive and negative comments about Rowenta irons.  My experience was positive previously and hoping it will be again with this one.

I am glad I did not finish and post the previously planned post about how I was continuing to love my Reliable Iron.  Perhaps that was an omen!

Next up a review of the Itch to Stitch Bellavista Top pattern. (Affiliate).


6 comments:

  1. I have a Reliable Iron -- $169.00 -- forgot where I bought it. Had it at least 4-5 years. After about the first 18 months (I believe--though she denies it) my daughter dropped it. I have an old iron she was instructed to use. You know how we sewists are 'don't touch my iron or my scissors' . And most non sewists think 'what difference does it make?'. Well, my iron started doing crazy things, spurting water, hissing, wouldn't heat up. I was furious. Called Reliable and forgot what they said--in essence, they were willing to help me. Now here's the part where I had a brain fart--I honestly don't remember what happened. Put the iron away and went back to my old Black and Decker. (i think I could have sent it back to them and they would fix it--no charge--but I never followed through). I started working and shut my sewing room down for a while. Earlier this year went to use the Reliable and it works! Just like new. I don't know if the iron had to recover from its fall--Or I did something right--I don't know but don't give up on your Reliable. Some swear by Rowenta. Never had one. So I really have no comparison. All I know is my Reliable is the best 'sewing' iron I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this. I am pretty sure I have a warranty for the Reliable and should search that out as I do/did really like that iron. You got a lot more use for yours than I did. It was a great little iron. Rowenta is working great. Maybe I will let the Reliable sit for a little longer and see if it will "reset itself".

      Delete
  2. Ouch!!! I have a $40 Black & Decker that’s most two years old. Before that I had a B&D Classic that was fine until I dropped it. And then I bought another one and accidentally fused interfacing to it LOL!!! But they worked well! So I haven’t gone the expensive iron route because I see lots of posts like this one! :(

    Glad you found one you like!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried B&D irons before, I do like the price. So far the Rowenta is doing okay, just hope it lives up to its price tag!

      Delete
  3. It's good to hear your experience. I haven't heard of Reliable yet until the other day while on the BurdaStyle website. I hope your Rowenta serves you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! The Rowenta is doing well. I have to admit though it is not the same as the Reliable one. But the steam I get is good; it is not continuous though on lower temps.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...