Monday, January 15, 2018

Life in 2018

I decided to participate in the 2018 RTW Fasters and continue to participate in MAGAM.  I am off to slow start with both, at least it seems slow to me. 

My first garment for the year is still a work in progress.  It is the Halifax Hoodie by Hey June.  The instructions are good, though they jump around a little.  It is drafted for much taller women that I.  I reduced the length by 1.5 inches, reduced the sleeve length by one inch but ended up taking another 1/2 inch off because when I add the cuffs those sleeves are going to be really long.

I used fabric from stash-Girl Charlee Mustard Ponte and LaFinch fabric used in the Pamela's Peplum.  Plus the cuffs and waistband are from ribbing knit acquired from Fabric Mart last year.

My plans are to sew more casual clothing for 2018 and to finally  make a pair of good fitting pants.  My current casual/business tops are being worn to death.  Some will last forever, I am just tired of wearing them.  Others are beginning to peel and hate that look.

My other reason for focusing on casual------I am retiring on February 2, 2018!  I had originally planned to retire in 2021; however the way things are where I work has led me to decide to move that up three years.  So I am now faced with what will I do now that I am all grown up!  I know I will have more time for sewing, but less money to continue my fabricaholic and patternaholic lifestyle.  Thank goodness I have curated a collection of both that will probably last me the rest of my life.

I am feeling thrills as well as chills as I move into retirement and what will be the future.  I find the current state of our country very surreal and troubled which adds to my concern of the future.  Retirement brings some uncertainty on its own.  Many of my friends who retired much earlier than I have said I will love it!  Hoping so.  I am such a people person that I know I will need to find something that allows me to interact with others.  Having worked in the non-profit world for over 39 years, I know I want to be able to help in some capacity with involvement with another non-profit in a volunteer capacity.

My husband and I plan to move toward a coastal area in NC or SC; and will need to travel to some areas we are considering to see what is available for our more relaxed lifestyle.  Right now we have a lot to sort out in the way of downsizing from a home we have lived in for 14+ years.

Sewing has once again allowed me time to reduce the stress of winding up my career, preparing my successor to assume my job duties and dealing with all the challenges of securing my future for retirement.

I hope you will continue to follow my blog as I enter into the next phase of my life!




23 comments:

  1. Wow, that's huge news, Linda! Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. How exciting to be searching for a new home. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! That final workday is getting closer and closer.

      Delete
  2. That is quite a change. I hear the same story from people around me who have retired already: it takes a bit of time to get used to it, but after about half a year they are settled in new routines, volunteer work, hobby's etc. It will be nice to have more time for sewing :). Good luck with all the changes and the house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sigrid! The part I keep thinking about is more time to sew!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your retirement! I understand your anxieties because I'm starting to map out the next few years of my life since retirement is looming for me also. And I'm right there with you with having a fabric and pattern resource center that will make sewing for the retirement years a treasure rather than a worry. Good luck with the house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I am more and more thankful that I have a collection of fabrics and patterns that with more free time I will be able to see more possibilities with what I have. I thought about you several times when you made the transition to a new job with work style that was quite different from what you usually sewed. That is how I am feeling about what will I sew for a "life of leisure"😊

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your retirement. What is MAGAM?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your retirement decision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats- retirement has been great for me . I love the extra time to sew & explore . I found a group that makes baby clothes for local newborns . This really helped me have social interaction & combine something I love. You will find your way & many new paths

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your retirement, I'm sure you'll love it! Good luck house hunting! I also am curious about MAGAM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is news. Retirement sounds wonderful and scary at the same time. Moving to a new house and area will keep you busy. And more time for sewing. Just different sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the week afternoon retirement will begin a new chapter in my life and will figure it all out then. I like the idea of being busy.

      Delete
  9. Retiring is a big change in our lives and I hope you enjoy it. Of course I will still be following you and I look forward to your new wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to make the most of it. With more time to sew, I can hopefully find the style that will suit my changed lifestyle.

      Delete
  10. WOW!!!!! What amazing news!! Congratulations Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will love it - but it does take a while for the mind to realize you are retired! I'd see clothes, fabric and think - that would be a good work ...... - nope I'm not working! Enjoy
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! I have already been doing that and telling myself nope you need to go to jeans department!!!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations!! Of course retiring brings a flutters and uncertainty, but I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am excited about it and keep thinking about more sewing time.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...