Saturday, October 07, 2017

Sewing Interruptus!!!

I have not been able to do much sewing this week.  My DH had to have rotator cuff surgery to fix a bad shoulder that I could not ever talk him into doing a couple of years ago.  It was pretty bad at this point. Fortunately it was repairable.  Everyone I have talked to who have had this surgery or someone in their family has said it is very painful afterwards.  They were not kidding.

My DH's pain level on a scale of 1-to 10, with 10 being the worst, is about 18!  No pain tolerance at all.  The doctor visit and pre-admission ate up one full day last Monday. The surgery was Thursday and the procedure is laparoscopic.  While the nerve block and anesthesia were still there after spending 9 hours at the hospital, sometime during the early morning yesterday the nerve block wore off!

He was finally able to sleep last night as did I-YEAH!!!

I hope to go to sewing room sometime today and tomorrow, in between being a nurse; I really stink at being a nurse.  Bless all of you who are.  The nurses at the hospital were very caring of my husband and me.  I hope I don't turn into Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. 

It was his right shoulder and he is right handed, so he is and will be facing some challenges doing the opposite of what he normally does. 

At work we have a critical three year review coming up that I am responsible for.  I may have to have a home care person in for a few hours during the upcoming weeks until this review is over.  This too shall pass!

OH!  Got to run, patient is calling!  Later!


9 comments:

  1. I sincerely sympathize with anyone in that kink of pain especially after being in extreme pain myself for over 6 months until I get a proper diagnosis. NURSE HIM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing pretty good with this support. Pain is better than a few days ago, but still there.
      I was able to spend a little time in the sewing room and ready to try on the dress for another fitting with a zipper basted in.

      Delete
  2. Ouch! and ouch! hope DH heals quickly - at least gets past the worst of the pain - and I'm sure you're still the same lovely person regardless. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco! The patient is doing better each day. I am even getting the hang of helping him dress. I have to admit I am looking forward to spending sometime at the office tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Speedy recover for your DH. My sister says it is very painful. I think he is in good hands with his docs and YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! He is getting better each day. This is a 3 to 4 month recovery period.

      Delete
  4. I had my right shoulder down 9 yrs ago and the left one done on June13. I just finished up with physical therapy and am now doing home therapy. Please keep the meds (I had oxy and motrin 800 mg) going as instructed by the doc.Hopefully they sent him home with an automated icepack--- the kind that hooks up to a machine that has iced water in it. It keeps the swelling and pain in check tremendously. Speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meds are similar to what you mention. No automated icepack, interesting. I have to keep reminding him to keep ice on it. I have never seen or heard of an automated icepack, have to check that out!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...