Sunday, April 14, 2013

Top progress

Well--I ran into some fitting issues and some I think I should have anticipated from the beginning.  Just because the finished measurements are posted on the pattern piece, does not mean one should believe those measurements.

I ended up letting out all seams, ending up with 3/8 inch seam allowances to give me the room I needed from below the bust down.  Thank goodness for princess seams and being able to adjust all around.

Having said this about this pattern, it is a well drafted pattern in that all pattern pieces line up well.  I really need a 14-16-18 pattern and this one ended with 14 and the next sizes up would have been way to big in upper chest and shoulder area.  I will make this one again and will adjust for more width from under the bust down.  The FBA I made was perfect.  I also think the back piece is too long and could/should have folded out some of the length in the back above the waist.

Not the best photo as I took this with my iPhone looking back into mirror.  It gives you an idea of the folds.  I am slightly turned so that makes it look different also.

Here is a view of the front on a hanger.  The fabric is faux snakeskin looking leather.  It sewed very well.  I only have a few more things to do to complete the top.  I have to add facings, turn under and hem sleeves and bottom.

More to share later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, Isn't it annoying when things go this way? Glad you have been able to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is annoying. What I really hate is that little inner voice warning me of a potential fit issue and not listening!! I made it work though and happy that it will be worn.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...