Holiday weekend sewing
I finished Simplicity 2413! Two new skirts thus far for fall/winter.
I have had this pattern forever and recently learned that it is OOP. I saw a review on PR of this skirt and it looked lovely on the reviewer. I decided it was time to pull this out of the stash and make it up.
The fabric I used was included in a fabric bundle from Fabric Mart. This has been around in my stash for at least two years if not longer. It was great to sew. Not sure of the actual fabric content and it is a stretch woven.
This skirt was fairly easy to sew. It does have some tedious sewing requirements such as numerous pleats that require accurate marking; a fold over facing again requiring accurate marking. A side invisible zipper that needs to be stitch accurately because there is a side pocket as part of the seam for one side of the zipper.
It is not lined which is good again due to all the pleating and such. The fabric I chose seems to work well for one that is not lined.
I marked the pleats with marking pencil but recognized that with the fold over facing, the markings were not going to be so visible unless I marked on the right side of the fabric. I decided to baste stitch the pleating marks which worked out great. In the end I had to take deeper pleats as the waist was a little to big.
I like the skirt, but it feels a little full. The model’s version of the skirt on the pattern envelope does not look as full. I was concerned about the horizontal stripes on the bottom skirt band. When you are short that is not necessarily the best look as it can of widens and cuts you off. But 2/3’s of the skirt is vertical stripes, so I decided it would be okay.
Here are photos of the completed skirt. The first one is the skirt on the hanger; there is sash hanging down the front.
I am holding the pleats in this view.
I like the pockets.