Saturday, June 23, 2007

Well on its way

I made great progress this evening on my dress. I had to buy thread to match this green fabric. All the green threads I had were way off from this shade. DH wanted to go to several places today so while out I went to JoAnn's and purchased the thread. I needed a longer zipper as well so purchased a white one but really wanted a green invisible zipper.

I was going to post a slide view of my dress progress, but I am not real pleased with the way the embedding process works for slide show using Picasa 2. So I am going to just post photos. You can go to Flickr as well to see them.

One thing I wish I had done differently was to cut out the longer view of the dress. Usually when I cut the shorter version of patterns when I do not make petite adjustments, the length is a little long. Not with this dress! The length it is now is the length I want. I think I will add seam binding or cut a hem facing and use 1/4 seam allowance to attach then turn up 3/8 to hem.

So far the sewing has gone smooth, even attaching the inseam pockets. This was a new technique for me but I am pleased with the results. I thought about lining the dress but decided I am lazy. I may rethink this tomorrow.




The last photo is a close up of the fabric. I cut the center front and the center back pieces with stripes/dots on the horizontal. The side front and side backs stripes/dots are running vertically. I did not want to try to match up those horizontal stripes when cutting out the side pieces.

2 comments:

  1. It is so kewl to watch your dress come together. Pretty soon there are going to be a slew of these dresses out there and each one different due to the creator's intrepretation! So are you going to wear mod white 70's jewelry with the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you did the horizontal and vertical dots. It gives is an interest. I found my lilac zipper at Salem W-mart. I couldn't find a zipper to match my fabric anywhere else. Sad.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...