Presto Popover Top

I have been working on the Presto Popover Top this weekend. I printed this pattern several days ago and Friday evening I taped all of the pages together. I then traced around the medium and large sizes that seem to fit my measurements. I then pin fitted the traced pattern and decided I needed to make a small FBA.

My first attempt at the FBA was to use my usual method which results in a bust dart. I then decided to eliminate the bust dart and take off the extra from the side that was created. However something went wrong in this process and the side seams did not match up. I really did not want a bust dart. I decided to try another method using fitting book by Sandra Betzina. 


If you click on the photo you will be able to see how this method works to create a FBA. Here's what the front pattern piece looks like using this method.





I decided to use another fabric to test so this pattern. This is a piece that is from my stash that's a burnout rayon knit that I purchased from JoAnn's Fabrics. I made some adjustments to the shoulder as well as a sway back adjustment.  Because of these adjustments I decided that it was best to test the pattern. From reading reviews at PR, I know that there is a tricky part with the neckline and attaching it to the back. And of course it took me three tries to finally get it correct. In doing so my cheapo fabric stretched out a shape somewhat. I am happy that I have figured out how to do this so when using other fabrics I should not have this issue.

I still need to attach the sleeves and during the pin fitting process I determined that I had traced the wrong size and had to trace another sleeve pattern. It does seeing from the reviews that the sleeve may be tight so I adjusted for that as well. Once you sew in the sleeves flat you then sew up the side seams and hem.  Then presto!  you have a completed top.

Here's a picture of the fabric that I'm using; it's hard to see the burnout areas and the knit is very thin. However it has served its purpose as a test for this pattern.






Comments

  1. I'll be interested to see the results of your alterations. This top reminds me so much of a Kwik Sew top that I've made, it will be interesting to see your process and see the differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the KS pattern also. I actually own two tops purchased from Talbots that are like the KS top as well. Just returned from a business trip and hope to actually complete the test garment and make another one this weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing This and That 9-2017

Checking In

On to the next project!

Sewcialists

Sewcialists