Writings on sewing related subjects, as well as whatever suits my fancy.
Next up the popular Marci Tilton dress-V8904
Pattern pieces are cut out and ready to pin fit. Considering using a light weight knit for dress underlay to reduce heaviness and bulk of the many layers attached to body underlay; this was a great suggestion from a reviewer on Pattern Review. Need to look through my stash to see if this is a possibility for me.
I decided it was time to buy a new rotary cutter. My old one was okay; I tried an Olfa cutter with a different grip at a sewing retreat a few months ago. I liked the feel of it so I decided to let the old one go!
I could not decide on the size I should get and Nancy's Notions had a special sale so I took advantage of the and bought two.
I also purchased this Fiskars Easy Change Fabric Cutter Knife. It comes with three different blades used for different purposes.
Lastly, I needed a new cutting mat. The one I had was bent/warped and not usable. This is a folding mat which when opened it truly lays flat.
I have not been able to do much sewing this week. My DH had to have rotator cuff surgery to fix a bad shoulder that I could not ever talk him into doing a couple of years ago. It was pretty bad at this point. Fortunately it was repairable. Everyone I have talked to who have had this surgery or someone in their family has said it is very painful afterwards. They were not kidding.
My DH's pain level on a scale of 1-to 10, with 10 being the worst, is about 18! No pain tolerance at all. The doctor visit and pre-admission ate up one full day last Monday. The surgery was Thursday and the procedure is laparoscopic. While the nerve block and anesthesia were still there after spending 9 hours at the hospital, sometime during the early morning yesterday the nerve block wore off!
He was finally able to sleep last night as did I-YEAH!!!
I hope to go to sewing room sometime today and tomorrow, in between being a nurse; I really stink at being a nurse. Bless all of you who are. The nur…
I finally got some time to sew this weekend. I was at the point with Simplicity 8425 to install the invisible zipper. Installing the zipper was easy peasy, I love working with invisible zippers.
The issue, and I thought it was going to be an issue, was the bulk at the intersection of the collar. My fabric being scuba knit was rather thick and I was treating it as if it was a ponte knit. After you attach the collar, you then attach a front and back facing. So at that intersection you now have a thickness of the back fabric, two layers of collar fabric, plus facing. Nowhere in the instructions does it say to trim out this area. I however did trim out the thickness of the collar and the facings, before understitching the collar and interfacing, per instructions and my usual practice.. However there was still quite a bit of bulk in the area where the zipper was going to be. The instructions advises you after installing the invisible zipper to trim out the area under the zipper at the faci…