Tuesday, January 01, 2013

First Garment of 2013-Magic Pencil Skirt


Yeah!  Completed my first garment for 2013.  Hopefully this is good omen for sewing for 2013.  My review is below and will post on PR.  I have not posted much there in the past several months.

Pattern Description: Pamela’s Patterns-Magic Pencil Skirt


Pattern Sizing: Small

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy instructions to follow.  The instructions include fitting suggestions, how to attach elastic, etc.  Excellent pattern for any beginner to try.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the ease of making this skirt.  There is not much to dislike at all.  Once you have perfected the fit you could sew up several in one setting.  I have made three skirts thus far; the new one I added a lining.

Fabric Used:The fabric I used for this one is a printed light weight double knit from Vogue Fabrics.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:  The only change I made this time was to add a lining.  I attached the lining at the waistline by serging the edges together.  I then attached the elastic at the waist.  I also do not totally stitch around the bottom edge of the elastic, preferring to attach by stitching in the ditch of the darts and side seams.   This way when I wear it there is no tell tell elastic waist should I have my top tucked in.  I don’t wear belts much so prefer this method.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I have sewn this skirt three times now and I am sure I will make additional ones in the future.  I highly recommend this pattern whether you are a beginner or advanced sewist.

Conclusion Easy to make skirt pattern.  Suitable for skirt wearers of any size.

Here are some potential looks with this skirt and other garments in the wardrobe.  The first one is a purple sweater jacket from Macy's with the skirt.  The second one is teal top that blends to black at the bottom of the top and sleeves.



21 comments:

  1. Love the fabric of this skirt - and your waistband method sound great (might have to borrow this idea)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt! Though I guess I have dress on the brain because that was my thought when I purchased some of that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I bought another colorway of this same fabric and purchased enough for a dress!!! I think it works for either.

      Delete
  3. I love skirts,they are a big part of my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty skirt. Looks like this one is a definite TNT. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First project - girl you do not mess around! Love your new magic pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great little skirt pattern and I too love the way you did the elastic in the waistband... clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty skirt. I love the fabric too. What a great start to the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wore skirt last week and it wore well.

      Delete
  8. Love the fabric for your skirt. I ordered the pencil skirt pattern after seeing how much you like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah ha - I see it is Vogue fabrics. Will need to check it out. Love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Vogue Fabrics provides good service and love their swatch program.

      Delete
  10. That looks like a really versatile skirt--love the tops you've paired it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Teal and purple are dominant colors with this fabric and I seem to have those colors for tops and sweater jackets in my closet.

      Delete
  11. I love your skirt. What fabric did you use for the lining?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a stretch fabric I had in my stash. It was a knit with about 10% stretch.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...