Dress progression

DH had to work late last night, so after CURVES, shower and dinner I spent some time in my sewing room working on the Simplicity dress. I basted the side seams together for the bodice to try on before inserting the sleeves.

I was thrilled at the fit!!!! I had some concerns about the overlay piece which is attached to the midriff. When I held the bodice piece up the ruching (overlay)seem to sag and I thought I am going to have this sagging and not the look as shown on the pattern. Once I tried on the bodice then stretch of the knit across my body made the overlay ruching do what it is suppose to do. Whew! I thought that perhaps the weight of the knit would pull it down; thankfully it doesn't. This confirms why knit patterns are drafted smaller than wovens and allows for fabric stretch. The shoulder fits beautifully and the gathers under the bust area I am finding are flattering. I will use 3/8 seams through the waist area as this felt a little snug. The bodice area's 5/8 seam allowance worked well.

I want to make another dress from this pattern, perhaps with short sleeves and a contrast midriff. I am on the prowl for the perfect knit fabrics.

I will insert sleeves next, add neckband then attach the top pieces to the skirt. I am really excited about this dress. As others have noted on their blogs, this seems to be the season for dresses. I think my next sewing projects will include another dress from this pattern, a wrap dress, a shirtwaist dress and my all time favorite sheath.

Comments

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing Interruptus!!!

Simplicity 8425

PR Tunic Contest

Sewcialists

Sewcialists