Thursday, December 27, 2018

Serger woes and M7874

I had almost finished making M7874.

I really like this pattern.  All of the pieces go well together. I made FBA, swayback and forward shoulder adjustments, my usual.  I had made this all the way to adding the bottom band which becomes very thick as you have numerous layers of fabric at the bottom.  Instructions have you sew the band in double stitches and the trim the edge.  I feel like that is the made at home look when the garment is finished.  So I serge finished this.  Because of the thickness, I decided to topstitch the turned up seam to the bodice for it to lay correctly.  AND THEN I NOTICED SOMETHING NOT SO GOOD.

I had done something I have not done in a long long time!  I had caught some of the bodice in the serged edges, not the part you wanted to catch.  I was heartbroken about this.  I could have probably left it alone but not me.  So now there is a huge hole at the bottom.  The perfectionist side of me can't handle patching and really hard to patch as it is in a very noticeable place.

About an hour later, I was over this and decided that there were some other concerns with the top that made this to be a test garment or muslin.  My fabric is french terry that I got in a mystery bundle for Girl Charlee a few years ago, so it was not like I had purchased this specific fabric.  

I have not sewn french terry in a long time and realized that the stretch is not really good for this pattern unless you want this to fit very close to your body.  I will say that the sleeves with this pattern are very tight and the measurement on the pattern piece, IMHO, is not accurate.  I could hardly move my arms.  Again this may have been the fabric.

However, I have gone through my fabric collection and I think I have found the next "perfect" fabric for this.  With the fit correct, except with the sleeves, and having sewn this once, my next version should be okay!

More updates to follow. 




8 comments:

  1. Aw, I am so sorry this happened! I have created serger woes too. I hope you recover with this fabric you have picked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa. I am going to cut out the new fabric this afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Oh how heartbreaking when the serger eats your creation! But between the hole and the sleeves it just must not have been meant to be. Good luck on the next version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I don't think it was meant to be either; good thing is I know the tweaks I need to make with the next one.

      Delete
  3. I have accidently taken chunks out of a garment with my serger, and remember how I felt when I discovered it. Here hoping your next version of this pattern will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I have not done that in years but when you sew you are bound to have something like this to happen every now and then. I have pulled out my fabric for the next version and hope to cut it out this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Sad to hear this! would you be able to save it by covering the hole with another fabric to make it look like a design choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could but the fabric has solid spaces between floral print. It is a big hole too. I have patched something before with covering a hole with the same fabric. It is in pretty conspicuous location too.

      Thanks for stopping by; I hope you are doing better.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...