Writings on sewing related subjects, as well as whatever suits my fancy.
Preparing fabric for sewing
I decided to wash this fabric this evening. DH is working late and I have time on my hand to do some sewing related things. I cut a small square of this fabric yesterday and hand washed it and let it dry. It did really well with no shrinkage. I think the washing will get rid of all the loose fuzzy material. They were all over me when I pulled out this fabric to plan the layout of the fabric.
I really need to use of some of my fabric stash and this will get some wear during the cool February and March days, possibly into April.
This was a project that turned into a wadder. Due mostly to the knit fabric that was just not right for this pattern. I ordered a distressed knit to use for this project.
The fabric has been washed and is ready when I can get all the fitting adjustments to the pattern completed. With the first project, I made forward shoulder adjustments as well as a narrow shoulder adjustment to front and back. I did not make an FBA for the first project and after trying on the pattern again, I decided I did need 1 1/2 inch adjustment. Also, I made a 5/8 swayback adjustment.
After making the FBA I realized that the bust dart had to be lowered by an inch. After trying the pattern on with these adjustments I decided that I need to adjust the neckline; currently, it is too wide and low.
Here's the pattern as adjusted without neckline adjustment.
Yesterday was my birthday-69 years young!!! I decided to buy myself a gift and purchased from Stylemaker two not…
I finally finished the New Look 6314 top! I wore it yesterday. I liked the way the fabric felt and was comfortable to wear. If you read my previous post(s) about this pattern then you know I made many fitting adjustments after making my test of this pattern.
So let's get started:
5/8 inches for a high round back adjustment Swayback adjustment of 5/8 inchesForward shoulder adjustment of 5/8 inchesFull bust adjustment of 1.5 inchesAdded 7/8 inches to front and back neckline. It was too wide for my comfort and aging necklineShortened the shoulder at sleeve line by 5/8 inches Took 3/8 inch tuck through the upper chest and back, to reduce length between underarms.Lowered dart by 7/8
All of this was made after pattern fitting and before cutting out the fabric. I thought about eliminating the resulting dart when making the FBA; I didn't until after sewing the dart.
The bust dart ended up being too low after sewing shoulder seams and basting the dart and side seams. I started to adjus…
I purchased this pattern, Butterick 6687 in 2019. I was drawn to the top the model is wearing and also like two other versions. The fabric I am using has been in my stash since 2016.
I purchased this when Fabric Mart had precut fabrics plus a pattern to go with it as a bundle. I never made the dress pattern that came with it even though I had good intentions. It was a McCall's pattern which I no longer have. This is 100% polyester so when it gets to be really hot, I doubt I will wear much especially with long sleeves. I decided also that the next project would be a woven fabric and this was already in my sewing room.
I also have decided that once this is complete, I will tackle a pair of casual pants. I am going to use Simplicity 8389. I plan to sew View D, the orange pants. I am uncertain of the fabric I will use. They need to be somewhat drapey. I had thought about using the fabric above at first and knew that I would not be comfortable wearing …