Today I feel like actually doing something sewing related. I am using a pattern from my stash that I have not tried before.
I am making the short sleeve dress, not shown above. This is Butterick 6207. I purchased a xs-m size because my upper chest/shoulder area needs this size, my bust needs large, so I made a FBA. I did not want a dart for this dress, so I used this technique from Maria Denmark. I always get a little nervous when trying a new technique, especially one that creates a lot of changes due to cutting, enlarging and reducing. The paper pattern ends up looking way different than the original. Hopefully this will all work out.
The fabric is actually a fairly recent purchase. It is from Cali Fabrics, purchased this past December.
I just finished cutting out the fabric today and getting ready to thread serger, sewing machine and most likely will use the cover stitch machine for hemming. More later.
I can't believe it has been since Feb. 17 since I last blogged. I completed the Butterick dress and have cut out another McCall's raglan sleeve bomber jacket using red scuba knit fabric from my stash purchased from Fabric Mart in 2014.
When I washed it there was a lot of red dye that came off on one of the dye catcher papers that you throw in with clothes or fabrics. This was my second wash for this fabric. Hopefully it will not rub off any more.
The cuffs, collar and waistband is a black rib knit that I also purchased from Fabric Mart in 2017.
I have been busy getting rid of "stuff" but I think it keeps multiplying. I've read a couple of books on decluttering but it feels overwhelming at times. We have traveled to NC to look at some homes in a coastal area and have settled on two of them. And so the process begins on finalizing our move and when. All of this is taking me away from sewing and I do try to sneak in some sewing time.
Several months ago or way back in 2017 I attempted to sew McCall's 7100. I along with several other sewists/bloggers had some issues with this pattern as instructions were written incorrectly in some areas. I was able to catch some and others I didn't. My other challenge with this pattern was not having the right fabric for the collar, cuffs and waistband. So I bid that wadder "bye-bye".
Meanwhile McCall's made corrections and created a sew along that helped in the sewing of this bomber jacket. Since I purchased a boat load of rib knit fabric from Fabric Mart last year, I really need to use what I spent my money for. Sooooooo-I decided lets try this jacket again.
I think this pattern and I are not intended to get along. I had real issues with attaching the pockets and ended up with a hole in the fabric seam allowance from taking the pattern apart and resewing and doing it again. I don't sew a lot of pockets and this should not be a difficult task but I…