McCall's jacket progression
This is the project I am working on. This fabric is somewhat like a boucle, stitches get lost in the fabric weave. I serged all the jacket edges as it starts to ravel when you move it around to sew.
The pattern adjustments I made were FBA and the resulting side dart I decided to keep. The added width to the waist dart I ended up letting some of that out from waist to hip area to give a better fit through this area. I pin basted the jacket for fitting.
You get see the jacket bodice in the following photos.
I can't remember the last time I sewed plaids. I don't really like plaids much but this fabric worked so well with grey fabric used in the recent Vogue dress. Plus I have seen a few plaid items in Lucky and other magazines, thus wanted to give this a try. It is an uneven plaid. I worked to make sure the front pieces lined up and cut the fronts using a single layer. I cut the sleeves on the bias, this idea came from a recent article on sewing plaids in Threads or Sew News or Stitches. Can't remember which one.
I cut the upper collar on the bias also. This collar is from View A which is a gathered collar. I draped the fabric using the bias on my dress form. I liked the look of the collar gathered and on bias. The collar is completed next and attached to the neckline. I hope to work on it some this evening. I read the instructions for this collar and a lining is used as stay for the collar after it is gathered. It is then attached to the under collar.
It feels good to be sewing again. Last week was not a great week for pleasure. Work was all encompassing and some things at work were most unpleasant by the end of the week. Sewing again helped me to put some of this in perspective and to actually forget about some of it.