I was able to cut out the jacket pattern(McCalls 5329) today. I used just about every inch of the fabric, squeaking by enough to be able to cut it out. If I had not lengthened the jacket by 1 1/4 inches at the waist and changing the front piece due to FBA, squeaking out the pattern may not have been necessary. The back collar piece required two cuts and the curved front part of the collar required four pieces be cut. I only had enough fabric for one full set. The second set I was able to use a coordinating yellow cotton broadcloth fabric that I had on hand and was a recent purchase from Fabric.com to use with a yellow eyelet piece of fabric. This solid yellow fabric will be the under collar.

I am making View B. I wanted the flounce or ruffle sleeve, not the cuffed one. One of the ruffles will be pieced. I simply lacked about 1/2 to 5/8 inches of having enough for the second ruffle cut. Because the fabric print is a one way print, if I had cut the ruffle on the cross grain it would have looked odd. I will be able to add this small amount at the seam allowance and this piece will be underneath so should not be all that noticeable. Just the dry cleaner and I will know!

I also cut out the lining using the pretty yellow China silk fabric I purchased on Friday from Schoolhouse Fabrics in Floyd, VA.

This is the jacket fabric and was purchased from Fabric Mart in 2005. Here is a close up of the fabric, it is a cotton pique. EOS or Sawyer Brooks had this fabric also at the time. Fabric Mart had the better price. I was able to buy this fabric and another piece at that time. I made a dress from the other fabric; the dress proved to not be a good style for me. Lovely fabric though. Dress is still in the closet!


Post a Comment


Show more

Popular posts from this blog

New patterns/new fabric

People watching

Butterick 6207