Sunday, July 03, 2016

Sybil Illusion Skirts by Love Notions

I have purchased several patterns from Love Notions.  I had not sewn any of those patterns and last week I decided that I wanted to make a skirt using print knit fabric I recently purchased from JoAnn's as seen on Stitches and Seams blog.  Fabric not shown on JoAnn's website, perhaps sold out.

One of the Love Notions pattern I acquired was the Sybil Illusion Skirt Collection.  One has several choices to choose from with this collection and I decided to make the Swing style skirt.  I even decided to make a midi length which is about as close as I will get to making a maxi skirt.

I read through information about this skirt collection on the Love Notions website and was intrigued by the use of  a control top method for the waistband.  There is an alternative method as well.  The article also provided several sources for the control top fabric.  I ordered a yard from EOS several months ago.

The instructions for this for control top method are excellent and include photos of the process as well.  I like the layered printing for this pattern as you print only the size(s) you need.  I followed the directions for selecting the size for this particular skirt choice and they were spot on.  For this skirt I printed out the medium and large, flat pattern measured and decided I did not need to trace the pattern and just cut using the printed and taped pattern piece.  I needed large for waist and medium from hip down and for skirt length though I also shortened the length by one inch.

I only posted a picture thus far on Instagram and you can see the skirt by looking at the Websta Widget on the right side of this blog.

I tried the control top method for making the waist band for this skirt and it worked beautifully.  I only need to hem this skirt and will use coverstitch machine to hem.  I cut and sewed this skirt yesterday with some interruptions planned and unplanned, DH was home also and there were a lot of "Honey can you help.......!  This is the fastest sewing I have done of later, going for immediate gratification and got it!

Most of the skirt was sewn using my serger.  More updates with photos to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...