Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The tale of the cutting table

I know that you dear reader  are probably tired of reading about moving and setting up my new sewing space.  It is basically finished, though I am searching for some nice art work (inexpensive) to hang on a wall.

One thing keeping me from finishing the set up was my cutting table.  My DH gifted me a lovely sewing room fabric/pattern cutting table when we lived in PA (2000-2003).  It was a table that I kept set up to its full length as it had fold down tops.  It survived the move from PA to VA; I had that table for 17 years.  When drop leaves were folded down, there were two movable parts that folded in when not opened to its fullest.  When I folded it down for the move, plastic pieces broke off.

The table was substantial in weight and try as we might to fix this, DH and I could not do so.  I donated the table to the Salvation Army as they provide home pick up of furniture.  We could not lift the table to take it to them or another charity.

I searched Sam's Club, Bed Bath and Beyond and of course Amazon.  I needed a table that if needed I could take down or at least move easily if needed around the smaller sewing room.  Being a Prime Member I found that I got the best deal from Amazon. (Note: I am an Amazon Associate so I do benefit from someone clicking on a link to Amazon and actually making a purchase using the link from my blog.)

I found several tables that you can fold in half and store. This was also considered except for the height.  I then found a light weight, 4 foot table with extension legs.  It does not fold in half which really is better as I can see that might prove to be an issue with cutting patterns or fabric.  Reading the reviews for this, I read that several people used it for their sewing rooms.

The table arrived on Friday and I was able to set it up myself.  It is very lightweight and fits the room well.  The other issue with my previous table was that it was going to be way to big both width and lengthwise for the sewing room.



Legs fully extended

Extended legs

Cardboard table board from Hobby Lobby

I am happy with the new table and have actually starting a sewing project!  😂

More news later!

7 comments:

  1. Are you using two of them side by side? your picture seems to indicate a greater than 24" depth to go with the 4' length. Or is this table 4x 8'and if so what is the weight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dimensions (Open): 48" L x 24" W x 24" - 36" H Dimensions (Closed): 48" L x 24" W x 2.1" H.
      This is the information from Amazon website. It is only one table.

      Delete
  2. That looks like the perfect table! I have tables, but they are all up against a wall and make laying out a pattern to cut very difficult. I find myself using the dining room table for cutting...still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This evening I worked on pattern adjustment and the table being in the center allows me to move around it. My only issue is the cardboard cutting board is to wide for the table. The table is rather narrow which will create some fabric manipulations when cutting out fabric. The table is light so easy to maneuver around in my space. With the extended legs it is a little wobbly but not a big issue for me. I always seem to have clutter on our dining table so too much hassle to use it.

      Delete
  3. Linda, when my table was too narrow, I simply cut a piece of plywood and put over the table, letting it extend over the sides. With my cutting mat over the plywood I had no problems with the fabric getting picks in it. I also kept/keep a simple straight chair at the end of my cutting table to hold the fabric so there is no drag on it when I’m cutting out. Looks like you’re getting settled in nicely! Looking forward to seeing what you’re making. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these tips! I especially like the chair idea as I have a folding chair that this would work with. About to cut some fabric today and will see how this works out.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...