Thursday, June 21, 2018

People watching

I like to people watch to see how their hair style looks, what they are wearing including shoes.  I find where I now live a very laid back casual style mostly.  It is interesting to see the styles here in the area where I live which tends to have more individuals my and my husband's age. I compare this to styles going 15 miles down the road and there are lots of younger people, many in the military and many young mom's. Wearing leggings, cropped tops or athletic wear. Not what my body can wear uncovered!!!

Even some of the businesses where I have been, the work style is pretty business casual. I am almost ready to do some sewing (if I can just leave my sewing room as I have it mostly set up now).  One thing of interest to me is seeing so many kimono style toppers/jackets.  When I lived in Roanoke, VA I just did not see this much at all.

I made this kimono jacket in 2016. Fabric was from Fabric Mart Fabrics.  The fabric was a silky polyester and you know poly can be very warm.  So for cooler days it worked well.  I just never felt comfortable wearing it.  Now I see a lot of this style or similar and in lighter weight fabrics with skirts (long and short) or with jeans and some shorts.  The weather has been extremely hot for the past few days and adding humidity to this and 87 degrees F can have a real feel of 96!  Not sure a lightweight kimono jacket is needed much, though some evenings at dinner in restaurants one may feel good.

I mostly wear shorts, knit or cotton tops with sandals now.  I love sandals and when living in Florida one could not have too many.  So I get to wear sandals again and loving it!

I did breakdown and buy one of the newly released Jalie patterns-The Bobbie V-Neck.  This seems like the best new pattern that's perfect for the weather and style for me now.  Look forwarding to getting it soon. This is my first "hard copy" pattern for 2018.  I think this is the longest run I have had on not buying patterns.

More later.

6 comments:

  1. Nice job on the pattern buying! I bet that top pattern will come in handy...and could easily be lengthened to an easy to wear dress.

    Every year I complain about the tundra but would also be sad if I lived in a climate where my (excessive!) collection of boots couldn't be worn. So I definitely get it!

    I like that kimono! I made one awhile back (that same popular Simplicity!) but didn't quite like it. Now I've been considering taking another stab at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my boots but will gladly sacrifice for warmth and bare toes! I think I will try the kimono again but in some sort of lighter weight fabric and not polyester!

      Delete
  2. I just moved to a retirement community in Florida and the lifestyle and clothing are completely different even though I previously lived in the South! Go figure. Around here it's mostly cotton and linen, so I dusted off my serger and sent it off to be serviced. Polyester is permanently banished, as are scuba knit and heavy ponte. A lot of cropped pants and casual tops seen here. I'll be sewing new styles for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Florida, lived there for 9 years. Have not persuaded my DH to give it a try again. I understand completely about scuba and ponte/double knits being too heavy for even here in NC. I do have some cotton and linen knit fabrics to try, as well as some other woven cottons with some stretch in a few of the fabrics. Enjoy your sewing.

      Delete
  3. That kimono jacket looks great on you Linda. I made the Sew Over It kimono last summer, the shorter version, but only wore it once. I don't think the loose style is me even after taking in all the seams. Thanks for the heads up on the Bobbie tee. I have a metre of cotton/viscose jersey just calling for that pattern! PS I recognise you from Pattern Review and found your blog by chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, thank you for stopping by and commenting. I am getting ready to trace the Bobbie pattern.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...