Saturday, January 20, 2018

Halifax Hoodie

This is my first make for 2018.  All fabrics are from my "curated collection".



The sleeves and cowl neck is fabric from LA Finch Fabrics.  I used it to make the Pamela's Pretty Peplum top.


The bodice is from fabric I purchased from Girl Charlie Fabrics.  I thought it was from Gorgeous Fabrics and I did buy a similar shade from her, in a beefier double knit.
The cuffs and waistband are from ribbed knit that I acquired from Fabric Mart along with several other colors.

It is rather colorful and if it did not fit well then I was not going to be overly upset if it was a wadder.  The mustard fabric was about three yards.  I have enough left over to make something else.

I still need to add a drawstring to the collar.  I am looking for either purple, gold or teal shoe laces.  I am never in need of shoe laces or rarely so, hoping to find some soon.  Otherwise I will have to use fabric to cover some cording for the drawstring.

The fit with this pattern was not bad at all.  I cut the large size, adding about a half inch at the bust area.  I ended up cutting off about 3/8 inch from the shoulder width, which puts this in the medium size for the upper chest area as well as shoulder.  This is rather typical with most patterns I sew.

The pattern is drafted for taller women thus I reduced the length for the bodice and the sleeves.  I reduced the sleeves by 1 1/2 inches due to the extra length that would be created by adding the cuffs.
I ended up taking 1/2 inch seam instead of 3/8 when I attached the cuffs which was a perfect idea.

I am a little disappointed with the depth of the cowl neck; I do love how the cowl neck pattern piece was drafted though. 

I plan to take some photos of my wearing this soon.

Onto the next project.

Yesterday, Jan. 19 was my birthday and as a gift to myself I purchased this magnetic needle holder from Style Maker Fabrics.  Not only do they have great fabric but sewing novelties as well.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Linda! Love your new hoodie- such an unexpected color combination, but it definitely works. Very cute needle holder- I always love fun sewing accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Using three fabrics took me out of my comfort zone, but I think it works for casual wear!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! Love your Halifax. It is one of my favorite patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am pleased with the overall fit of this pattern and do think I will try the other versions!

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...