Saturday, December 09, 2017

New Look 6469

I finally got an opportunity to wear my new dress New Look 6469 earlier this week as the weather turned cold enough to wear.

I took these photos right before leaving for work and used my iPad to take them.  The background colors are not real conducive to showing off this dress and I played with editing as best I could.

I wore this with tights and my camel suede colored booties, only I left my feet out of the shots.

Back of the dress!  The dress calls for a zipper.  I interfaced the back seam edges for the zipper insertion.  This worked well.  I used Design Plus Stay Tape for this.

Here is the side view
This is a high low hem.  To be perfectly honest, I did not recall using the low hem back piece.  When I put it on to wear that day and I saw how the back hung, I thought it might have to do with snug bust. The pattern indicates that it is close fitting in the shoulder/chest/bust area.  It does not really pull in that area so I have decided this is definitely the high/low hem back piece.

Here are some things I will adjust for the next version.

  • the front neck neckline comes up to high and needs curving out more, no matter what neckline you choose.
  • the shoulder dart needs to be moved more to the front and so the dress will not pull back on me as it did while wearing
  • add a little to the bust area, 1/2 inch.
  • fullness is a lot with this swing dress and I t believe I could take it in a little more from waist to hemline.
Let me say that I love this brushed poly knit fabric.  It was a breeze to cut out and sew.It is from Cali Fabrics.   I used 1 inch double sided stay tape that I purchased from Pamela's Patterns.  (I am not an affiliate)  This is great stuff as you can cut the width to less than an inch, it fuses well with dry iron and pulling off the back paper is fairly easy.  I just turned up the hem on sleeves and dress, pressed with steam.  It made using the coverstitch machine easy to hem and get a good looking hem stitch with no puckers. (Sorry I did not take a picture of that.)

I will sew this again.

5 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful swing/tent/trapeze dress and I love the print. I need to make one for my Mother and one for myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun look! Thks for the tips on adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dress, Linda! I love your fabric choice:)

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...