Friday, September 15, 2017

Sewing This and That 9-2017

I have made progress on fitting adjustments for the peplum top.  Decided that the shoulder and armscye area is just to full and decided to remove the sleeves, to trim out some of this fullness.  I have enough fabric to cut a new pair of sleeves.

It took me forever to remove serger stitches from one sleeve.  I still have the other one to do.  I know there has to be an easier way to remove serger stitches.  If you know a quick way to remove the stitches, please share.  I have not taken the time to go to You Tube and probably there is a tutorial for that.  In removing the stitches, some places had small tears in the armhole area; it is okay as I am removing some from that area.

Here's a peak of the work in progress for this peplum top.  Very fall looking and I am doing more than I normally do to save this fabric and top.


I took advantage of some National Sewing Month discounts.  One was for 15% off EOS fabric.  The deadline was ended last week.  I bought a black denim rayon ponte knit and a poly woven bird cage print.
I also took advantage of sales at Cali Fabrics.  They truly have some nice quality fabrics and a fantastic price as well.  I purchased two brushed poly knit - black and a vintage floral fabric that I am truly in love with.  I saw a similar fabric in RTW top at Versona.  As soon as I saw that I knew I had to order this from Cali.
Got to run, posting this before I get dressed for work.  Later!

8 comments:

  1. The fabric for the peplum is beautiful, I can see why you're trying so hard to save it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a challenge but I see the end in sight.

      Delete
  2. I love the birdcage fabric and the one making the top with. Taking out overlocker stitches is easy when you take the needle threads and pull them from the underside. Make sure you have the right one as sometimes the looper threads appear to be it... if you give it a pull and it starts to tighten the looper threads it's the wrong one. Tug on them and draw them out gently then the looper threads fall away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this information. I did go on You Tube and found similar information. I did pull the wrong threads while doing this. Also the knit fabric I am using has a thick wrong side and attempting to pull the needle threads was difficult because the were somewhat mashed into the fabric. I succeeded in getting them out, but fabric was more of the challenge.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love that peplum top fabric. Just gorgeous! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased it from LaFinch Fabrics. I think I acquired it earlier this year or late 2016. It will be warm for the cooler fall days and winter.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Linda. I've never heard of that store- so I will check it out! I love your finished top. So pretty!

      Delete
  4. I've finally solved my armhole/sleeve problems, using Peggy Sager's method for using armhole templates for knits, woven/blouse and jacket. Have you tried this?

    Love that peplum fabric!

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...