Sewing challenge

I had hoped to be posting some photos of the peplum top.  That was not meant to be.I have had some real fitting issues with this pattern.

Attending a weekend retreat a couple of months ago with Pamela Leggett, she explained how she drafts her patterns with the more mature figure in mind.  She adds extra ease through waist and hips, she drafts shoulders for forward shoulders and bodices in the upper/shoulder area are based on high bust measurements.

I needed to add to the bust area and truly added to much and lowered the bust dart by 1/2 inch. Sometimes when you make a FBA the bust gets lowered some.  Also the width at the waist increases unless you move darts.  All of this contributed to fitting issues; keep in mind also knit fabrics have varying stretch capabilities and that impacts fit as well.

Having said all of that the top was way, way, way to big.  I fell to keep in mind when creating the FBA the stretch factor and could have gone with a much smaller increase.  This also added width front bodice and needed to address that with peplum which I did.  All of this proved to be excessive and failing to remember the extra ease with Pamela's Patterns at waist and hip I ended up with a top that huge.

I then began whacking away at the width of the pattern for front and back, basting, and then adjusting the front bodice and front peplum where there is the most excess fabric and now need to baste and fit again.

I have not had the time to continue improving the fit after working.  I am bound and determined to get the right fit. The fabric is lovely and don't want to waste it; perfect for fall.

Will share more later about the top.

I have taken advantage of some discounts being offered during this September's National Sewing Month and purchased some fabrics from Cali Fabrics as well as EOS. Photos of those to be in the next post.

Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

2 Projects!

New Project

Loss of a sewing icon

Sewcialists

Sewcialists